Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Theta Aurigae

Jiggy 67

Just come in mid session, partly to let some clouds pass and partly to ask this.

Just been observing this very tight binary star. I’m not sure I split it. The primary is large and bright and I think I saw the secondary as a very faint and smaller star very close amongst the diffraction spikes of the primary. It appeared as a grey circle at 11 o’clock to the primary. I was viewing at x280 mag and I’m really not sure I saw it correctly, anyone confirm this??

If it is as I described then it’s a very nice and quite challenging binary 

• Like 3

Yep.  Sounds like you got it . It's a challenge due to the bright primary , closing aperture or using a filter will lose the secondary.

The best view that I had of this was with Patbloke's 120 ed. it just showed two tight clean marbles,

careful now , Nick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/01/2021 at 21:19, Jiggy 67 said:

Just come in mid session, partly to let some clouds pass and partly to ask this.

Just been observing this very tight binary star. I’m not sure I split it. The primary is large and bright and I think I saw the secondary as a very faint and smaller star very close amongst the diffraction spikes of the primary. It appeared as a grey circle at 11 o’clock to the primary. I was viewing at x280 mag and I’m really not sure I saw it correctly, anyone confirm this??

If it is as I described then it’s a very nice and quite challenging binary 

11 o'clock (NNW position) sounds correct according to stelle doppie: https://www.stelledoppie.it/index2.php?iddoppia=22645

This is indeed a challenging one, congratulations!

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Yep.  Sounds like you got it . It's a challenge due to the bright primary , closing aperture or using a filter will lose the secondary.

The best view that I had of this was with Patbloke's 120 ed. it just showed two tight clean marbles,

careful now , Nick.

Is that Bogardas 3.8° split (SAO 0586 36)