Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tactile gloves

inapottingshed

The Mrs got me these for Xmas. 

I haven't used them in an astro capacity yet. But a walk to the shops and back and my hands were toasty warm. 

Two fingers and thumb still available for phone operation etc

DSC_0021.thumb.JPG.bc6d4d9c33e47469914c7abf0cfa01b4.JPG

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0173PG4QI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_KY07Fb8DYRMZA

Edited by Bobby1970

This is going to be an interesting topic to see what people use. I have bought and tried a few different brands of touch screen type thermal gloves and each time I have to take one off to adjust stuff. So, this has led me to my so far winning combo of a pair of normal gloves with a pair of disposable gloves underneath. I pulled off part of the index finger on one disposable glove. When I need to adjust stuff, I just take off one normal glove leaving the disposable in place and have the ability to change stuff. Works for me....so far... 🤣

2 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

I haven't used them in an astro capacity yet. But a walk to the shops and back and my hands were toasty warm. 

They look interesting, let us know how you get on.

4 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

Will be interested to hear how they perform. 

3 minutes ago, M40 said:

This is going to be an interesting topic to see what people use. I have bought and tried a few different brands of touch screen type thermal gloves and each time I have to take one off to adjust stuff. So, this has led me to my so far winning combo of a pair of normal gloves with a pair of disposable gloves underneath. I pulled off part of the index finger on one disposable glove. When I need to adjust stuff, I just take off one normal glove leaving the disposable in place and have the ability to change stuff. Works for me....so far... 🤣

Tactile/touch screen is optional/nice to have (I'd be OK with removing a glove). Really looking for a pair that are OK to use with focuser, laptop, etc. Ski gloves are warm but too bulky (from what I have seen). Not overly keen on exposing fingers...  

28 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

I have a pair of these and, for me, they are perfect - no faffing with mittens or removable bits and bobs; just wear them and get on with things, including the fiddliest of adjustments to small parts.

The exposed finger ends do get cold when you first get them and it can be tempting to think "this is rubbish" and give up on them.  But keep them on and keep busy and your body seems to adjust to the new normal of some exposed bits and the rest covered and everywhere soon feels uniformly warm.  After each session the "this is cold" feeling lasts less and less and I no longer get that feeling at all any more.

I think it's worth the learning curve your body needs to get used to them as they provide hassle free use. Highly recommended.

[For balance I would add that my wife had less patience / didn't believe the cold feeling would pass with her pair; so she gave up on them and went for a normal pair of warm gloves and leaves all the equipment adjusting to me.]

• Like 2

For a few years now I've been using what are often called 'shooter's mitts' like those fwm891  linked to while out walking, geocaching and taking photos in winter. Mine are made of windblocker fleece and I found the first pair in go outdoors fishing kit section (no I've no interest in angling, but anglers sit immobile in the cold rain and mud  for hours, so it's worth seeing what they use to keep comfortable ... I've recently been wondering if one of their plastic tackle boxes that can be used as a seat might be a good telescope general accessory case/ observing seat too...  )

The shooter's mitt is perfect, your non dominant hand can stay most of the time with the fingers covered, but it's a doddle to uncover the dominant hand fingertips . Two details to look out for : some have a useless button arrangement to hold the flap back when not in use: rubbish, cut it off and sew some velcro on, and the second pair I bought had the thumbs completely covered , so a bit of surgery on the fleece (which does not fray) was needed for a proper primate opposable thumb capability.

I absolutely love my shooter's mitts , can't recommend them too much . Made of windblocker fleece they are light, warm windproof and reasonably water resistant. Easy to wash too (mine get muddy) although when drying you have to remember to turn them inside out to be sure they dry on the inside too , first time I washed them I took them out to the car in my jacket pocket, only to put them on when  I arrived at my trail head and find that whilst the outside of the mitts was dry, the inside was damp. Had to walk 15 miles wearing inside out gloves ...

Heather

21 hours ago, globular said:

I have a pair of these and, for me, they are perfect - no faffing with mittens or removable bits and bobs; just wear them and get on with things, including the fiddliest of adjustments to small parts.

The exposed finger ends do get cold when you first get them and it can be tempting to think "this is rubbish" and give up on them.  But keep them on and keep busy and your body seems to adjust to the new normal of some exposed bits and the rest covered and everywhere soon feels uniformly warm.  After each session the "this is cold" feeling lasts less and less and I no longer get that feeling at all any more.

I think it's worth the learning curve your body needs to get used to them as they provide hassle free use. Highly recommended.

[For balance I would add that my wife had less patience / didn't believe the cold feeling would pass with her pair; so she gave up on them and went for a normal pair of warm gloves and leaves all the equipment adjusting to me.]

I’ve had a pair of these for a year and they’re great. Mainly use them for fiddling with cameras at night now, but before that they were great while threading filters onto eyepieces etc. Hands appreciably warmer than constantly removing ostensibly warmer, but more cumbersome, gloves.

The black diamond mitts I got recently finally mean I don’t have to worry about cold hands again, if I am walking about then I have to keep taking them off and on or my hands get very hot. For observing time i use a thin glove liner and have added some conductive thread to a few of its finger tips to enable me to use touch screen astro apps. They keep the immediate cold off until I can get the mitt back on again.

Peter

Being a wheelchair user, I am always on the lookout for a great pair of gloves (fingerless). Sadly I'm still looking. I haven't found any that tick all the boxes for me.

Forget gloves. Every astronomer needs one of these.

FB_IMG_1609787377058.jpg

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/01/2021 at 16:21, Bobby1970 said:

I have some similar, made for sailing*, with thumb and index finger free. They work well generally, and I wear thin fingerless gloves underneath for extra warmth.

*Therefore even more expensive than anything made for astro....

+1 for the Astro gloves shown by @Bobby1970. Had mine a year or so, and they are great. I do find the exposed fingers still get cold, but you are not constantly making fine adjustments in the coldest conditions. Fleece lined pockets give them a chance to warm up between the fiddly bits.

• Like 1