Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Your Last DSO Image of 2020

Gerr

592784673_EasternVeilNebula.thumb.jpg.ac418a55bc533bcb64c1cb87fc8cba86.jpgHi All,

Thought it would be nice to post your last astrophoto attempt of 2020. The weather being poor is an understatement but night before Christmas Eve the sky was cloudless for a couple of hours and my last target of the year was NGC 6992 - The Eastern Veil Nebula in Cygnus.

Equipment:   HEQ5 Pro Mount.  SW Evostar ED80 Pro Refractor.  SW Evoguide 50ED Refractor coupled with ZWO Mini Guide Camera.  Canon Rebel 650D Astro Modded camera with Optolong L-enhance dual narrowband filter.

Lights: 29 exposures of 4 minute duration (116 mins total). 20 x Bias. 20 x flats. No darks - dithered instead.

Image acquisition and processing: APT and PHD2 (EQMOD). DeepSky Stacker and Photoshop CS2.

Really hope 2021 is a better year for astronomy and everything else.

Happy 2021 to you all!!! :)

592784673_EasternVeilNebula.thumb.jpg.ac418a55bc533bcb64c1cb87fc8cba86.jpg

• Like 15

My last image from 2020.

Actually, 2020 wasn't as bad as 2019 and 2018, counting the number of images I posted on astrobin (with estimated total integration time)

• 2020: 10 images (95.6 hrs)
  • 2019: 7 images (38.1 hrs)
  • 2018: 7 images (27.2 hrs)

spacer.png

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 3

Wow, just checked and my last DSO image of 2020 was taken in September! I did manage a couple of wide-field sessions in November and December though.

This was the September image, of the Pegasus galaxy group centred on NGC 7331. Not great, to be honest due to the tilt, coma and a heavy crop, so I hadn't posted it anywhere until now.

Equipment: Revelation 12" f/4 Newtonian and astro-modified EOS 600D.

Happy New Year and clear skies!

Mike.

NGC 7331 e.jpg

• Like 7

My last image from 2020 was taken on Xmas day. The moon was up and I knew I only had a few hours before clouds would move in and I had to aim at something rather bright. So the target became the often imaged NGC 7822 which also contains Sh2-171 at the bottom half of the image, and in the upper right quadrant of the image the open star cluster NGC7762 can be seen. There is apparently also a star cluster above it - don't know its name or number.

Taken with the RASA 8 and ASI2600MC with an IDAS NBX dual band filter (Ha & Oiii). Gain 100, -15°C. Managed to catch 4.2 hours. It has been cloudy ever since, but today I saw the sun again and a clear night has been promised:hello2:

20201225 NGC7822 RASA PS57smallSign.jpg

• Like 12

Here's mine taken on the 29th December under a full moon, with a very similar setup to @gorann's, RASA8, QHY269c and NBX filter. The filter has now gone back to FLO to be replaced by IDAS's new improved NBZ dual band filter. Not quite sure what I'm doing with the colour assignment, but this selection seemed to accentuate the fainter nebulosity in the image.

IC1805, 40 x 3 mins

HeartNebulaNBX40framesLNC-NBX-session_1APGWin.jpg

• Like 11

Christmas Eve was my last image, in fact the only one for 3 months, an hour and a half on the North American Nebula while messing with a new stepper for focusing.

ZWO1600MM, Samyang 135MM, unity gain, 6 subs @ 5 mins each, Ha,SII,OIII

spacer.png

• Like 13

According to my file dates, the last image I completed was Melotte 15, at the back end of Sept. Since then a combination of rubbish weather and trying to get a new setup into operation has scuppered any proper imaging

390745439_SHO9412AffinityFull.thumb.jpg.21d537f056f6f10ba1af54ce68c173f2.jpg

• Like 12

I have been intermittently capturing data towards this throughout December on the few occasions that the skies have been clear.  I managed to capture and intergrade H-Alpha data during the full moon on New Years Eve, before the freezing fog moved in and interrupted what was meant to be a full night of stars.    

It is not perfect by a long shot but it was a good test for my new camera and I am ready to apply what I have learned on a new target in 2021, hopefully sooner rather than later.

556936168_FlammingStarNerbula1.thumb.jpg.c4a2c7df349199d59476c1d583e1d4cd.jpg

IC 405: Flaming Star Nebula taken with a ZWO ASI 1600MM Pro, Meade 6000 80mm APO and HEQ5 mount, guided.  

Luminance 80 x 3 min, Red 16 x 3 min, Green 16 x 3 min, Blue 16 x 3 min and H-Alpha 6 x 10 min.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, tomato said:

Here's mine taken on the 29th December under a full moon, with a very similar setup to @gorann's, RASA8, QHY269c and NBX filter. The filter has now gone back to FLO to be replaced by IDAS's new improved NBZ dual band filter. Not quite sure what I'm doing with the colour assignment, but this selection seemed to accentuate the fainter nebulosity in the image.

IC1805, 40 x 3 mins

Steve, I got to love the RASA8 & ASI2600MC so much that I may have gone over the top on new years eve and now I have a second RASA 8 and ASI2600MC on their way from TS (they suddenly had both in stock) - so a dual RASA rig very soon!

Edited by gorann
  • Like 2

My last image of 2020 was actually a test shot to try out an APS-C sensor on my SS15028HNT.   M42 with a Canon 100D DSLR  60 x 60" (1 hour total)  Processed with Astro Art 7.

John Love
CCD-Freak
WD5IKX

M42-Cal-Sigma-GR-DN-WB-Sat-Curves-3x3-3.jpg

• Like 14

My last image is already posted, this is the next to last.  M42 whilst making numerous mistakes as I get to grips with the new setup.

Ended up with only 8 x 60s plus shorter exp for the bright core..  RASA 8 and ZWO ASI2600MC.  DSS and PS.

All the best.  Paul.

210 M42.jpg

• Like 9

22 hours ago, gorann said:

Steve, I got to love the RASA8 & ASI2600MC so much that I may have gone over the top on new years eve and now I have a second RASA 8 and ASI2600MC on their way from TS (they suddenly had both in stock) - so a dual RASA rig very soon!

A dual RASA rig, nice! I thought my dual Esprit 150 rig was pushing it but the dual F2 set up coupled with these amazing OSC cameras and your excellent dark sky location should produce some breathtaking images.

Astro retailers must pray for cloudy spells over your part of Sweden.😉

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, tomato said:

Astro retailers must pray for cloudy spells over your part of Sweden.😉

They've done that for far too long now. The problem is that they're off by half a country. Göran has clear nights, while the rest of Sweden is covered in clouds. :angry3:

Edited by wimvb
  • Haha 2