Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nebula filter for observing

tripleped

Just a quick follow up question based on an informative stream I read recently on SGL re: nebula filters. My skies are bad (bortle8) so even with my 10” DOB I’m quite limited in viewing nebulae. M42 of course looks really nice even in my skies. Would an OIII filter make a significant enhancement for observation of M42?  If so what should I expect? Color? More vivid overall? Don’t want to buy a filter (which might only be useful in my skies for M42) for marginal results. But if I would see a “wow” effect I’d get it even if just for one object.

A good OIII filter performs very well on M42, a UHC filter even better. You won't see colour, but the contrast improves significantly. Here's a website with descriptions of the performance of filters on some common nebulae.

In dark skies, I'd say both filters will cause a 'wow' effect on the right nebulae. In Bortle 8, not really sure but perhaps others can chime in.

I use both O-III and UHC (and occasionally H-Beta) filters on M42 but I would call their impact on that particular target subtle and interesting rather than dramatic. On other targets such as the Veil and Owl Nebulae, the impact of the O-III in particular is somewhat more dramatic:

How to observe the Veil Nebula? - Deep Sky Observing - Cloudy Nights

Edited by John
  • Like 1

A good UHC filter with a 10 inch scope will be good for plenty of nebulae from your light polluted site. The dumbbell nebula is improved, as is the Ring Nebula. For fainter stuff like the Veil, it will mean being able to see them at all. Take the scope and filter to a dark site and you will easily be able to see the Rosette, North America Nebula, good view of things like the Swan (M17). 

• Like 1

The 'wow' effect lies a few miles away from the city lights. Under Bortle 8 skies neither filter (OIII or UHC) will make big difference, maybe on good nights making some otherwise invisible/faint nebula barely detectable. I too have 10" dob but the OIII filter do what is advertised to do only under dark skies 

Edited by observer
  • Like 2