Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to make pictures actually..picture something

Jananas07

1889649923_Screenshot2020-12-31at01_25_52.png.41d936ab9b084fb4635a170b1a4f74ad.pngGRB_070429B_HOST_2.gif.787aa04250bca0b8053e24bf3a23d343.gif

Hi! So Ive found some pictures from an arxiv report in a database which I need for my project and converted them to fits files (The picture on the left). The one that was used in the arxiv report (picture on right) is a zoomed in picture of a galaxy in that picture, where its clearly visible. However when I try zooming in on the exakt coordinates of the galaxy in the fits image, its just plain black. I want the picture "raw", that's why I saved it as fits and not their pdf picture from report. Someone suggested first stretching the image for a more detailed image but some filters had to be used though... the only thing I can find on the tables of the images is that filter F160W was used. I have no idea how to move forward now, completely stuck. Would appreciate some help! 

It looks to me as though in converting the image to FITS you have also changed it from greyscale to a depth of one bit per pixel (so each pixel is either white or black rather than a shade of grey) and inverted the result.  The various greys making up the galaxy are therefore now all black, hence what you're seeing where the galaxy should be.

James