Narrowband

Help finding speakers

Grant

On 07/03/2021 at 19:04, Grant said:

I've contacted Jasem but not heard back, is there anybody else who could give a talk on INDI, Ekos/Kstars etc..?

What would you want covering and in what format - it's the sort of thing where some form of real time screen capture / streaming would be incredibly useful.  My knowledge of Zoom is limited though having managed to avoid it for pretty much all of lockdown :) . Is it possible to share screen images etc?  I am happy to try and put something together covering the basics - installation, initial set up etc...

On 07/03/2021 at 20:04, Grant said:

I've contacted Jasem but not heard back, is there anybody else who could give a talk on INDI, Ekos/Kstars etc..?

Jasem is THE man behind ekos/kstars. The only other developer who comes to mind would be Radek Kaczorek, RadekK on sgl. He's the developer of astroberry.

Edited by wimvb

• 2 weeks later...

I would be happy to give a talk at some point on my PhD thesis, though would need a few weeks notice to prepare! My research was on the intergalactic medium (IGM) and it's relationship to galaxies. I used high resolution spectroscopy of quasars from the Hubble Space Telescope and ground based observatories to map the location and dynamics of metal enriched gas in the IGM in and around galaxies at medium redshifts (z ~ 1). These observations were compared with state of the art simulations of the Universe produced with Durham University's supercomputer - the Cosmology Machine. This led to some new insights into the nature and consequence of feedback from active galactic nuclei (AGN) and supernovae, which shapes the evolution of galaxies over cosmic time.

I'm also happy to talk a bit about what life is like as a working astronomer and share some of my experiences visiting and working at world class facilities in the Atacama desert in Chile.

• Like 3

On 07/03/2021 at 19:04, Grant said:

Is jasem on this forum? He responds pretty rapidly on Indi forum and Stellarmate ofcourse 🙂

On 23/03/2021 at 21:14, cfinn said:

I would be happy to give a talk at some point on my PhD thesis, though would need a few weeks notice to prepare! My research was on the intergalactic medium (IGM) and it's relationship to galaxies. I used high resolution spectroscopy of quasars from the Hubble Space Telescope and ground based observatories to map the location and dynamics of metal enriched gas in the IGM in and around galaxies at medium redshifts (z ~ 1). These observations were compared with state of the art simulations of the Universe produced with Durham University's supercomputer - the Cosmology Machine. This led to some new insights into the nature and consequence of feedback from active galactic nuclei (AGN) and supernovae, which shapes the evolution of galaxies over cosmic time.

I'm also happy to talk a bit about what life is like as a working astronomer and share some of my experiences visiting and working at world class facilities in the Atacama desert in Chile.

Yes please!!! That would be awesome 🙂

On 10/03/2021 at 20:38, dannybgoode said:

What would you want covering and in what format - it's the sort of thing where some form of real time screen capture / streaming would be incredibly useful.  My knowledge of Zoom is limited though having managed to avoid it for pretty much all of lockdown :) . Is it possible to share screen images etc?  I am happy to try and put something together covering the basics - installation, initial set up etc...

A general overview / getting started with EKOS / KStars would be a good starting point I think, you can share screen in Zoom and it works nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Katrin Raynor-Evans with her talk STEM through Stamps. You're going to learn a lot about stamps – very cool indeed. Kat is a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society and the Royal Geographical Society, a member of the European Astronomical Society and Astro Space Stamp Society. Kat writes articles and interviews for popular astronomy magazines including the BBC Sky at Night.