Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help finding speakers

Grant

All,

We want to restart our weekly Zoom talks on the 10th January after a Christmas / New year break.

Does anybody have any speaker suggestions or perhaps would like to give a talk themselves?

If so, please post here or PM me 🙂

Thanks!

In the months leading up to COVID, I gave a couple of public talks on gravitational waves. I don't know if a non-maths talk on what's below would be interesting or appropriate.

Gravitational Waves and Gravitational Wave Astronomy

Gravitational waves, first observed in 2015, are produced when compact objects like black holes and neutron stars merge. Just as useful information can be extracted from light wave signals, useful information  also can be extracted from gravitational wave signals.

• Like 3

Dr Rebecca Smethurst aka Dr Becky. She is an astrophysicist at Oxford University. Her bio states “MY RESEARCH IS FOCUSSED ON LOW-REDSHIFT GALAXY EVOLUTION STUDIES; PARTICULARLY THE MECHANISMS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE QUENCHING OF STAR FORMATION. I AM CURRENTLY WORKING WITH SDSS-IV MANGA DATA TO DETERMINE WHETHER NEGATIVE AGN FEEDBACK IS OCCURRING ON A POPULATION WIDE SCALE. COMPLIMENTARY TO THIS, I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN THE GROWTH AND POWERING OF AGN IN GALAXIES WITH MERGER-FREE EVOLUTIONARY HISTORIES.”

Her YouTube channel is excellent, very informative and entertaining and you can contact her through her website https://rebeccasmethurst.co.uk

On 30/12/2020 at 12:26, Grant said:

All,

We want to restart our weekly Zoom talks on the 10th January after a Christmas / New year break.

Does anybody have any speaker suggestions or perhaps would like to give a talk themselves?

If so, please post here or PM me 🙂

Thanks!

Is Brian Jones,  author  and founding member of Bradford Astronomical Society available? I do know he is online because he has a twitter account. I'm not sure if he'll respond to there or what his personal contact details are. Perhaps a talk could be arranged via Bradford Astro Soc secretary.

Just a suggestion 

Edited by reezeh
"I don't know what his personal contact details are"

On 30/12/2020 at 18:07, George Jones said:

In the months leading up to COVID, I gave a couple of public talks on gravitational waves. I don't know if a non-maths talk on what's below would be interesting or appropriate.

Gravitational Waves and Gravitational Wave Astronomy

Gravitational waves, first observed in 2015, are produced when compact objects like black holes and neutron stars merge. Just as useful information can be extracted from light wave signals, useful information  also can be extracted from gravitational wave signals.

There's a lot of interest in this area so a talk would be great! 

On 30/12/2020 at 18:36, TerryMcK said:

Dr Rebecca Smethurst aka Dr Becky. She is an astrophysicist at Oxford University. Her bio states “MY RESEARCH IS FOCUSSED ON LOW-REDSHIFT GALAXY EVOLUTION STUDIES; PARTICULARLY THE MECHANISMS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE QUENCHING OF STAR FORMATION. I AM CURRENTLY WORKING WITH SDSS-IV MANGA DATA TO DETERMINE WHETHER NEGATIVE AGN FEEDBACK IS OCCURRING ON A POPULATION WIDE SCALE. COMPLIMENTARY TO THIS, I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN THE GROWTH AND POWERING OF AGN IN GALAXIES WITH MERGER-FREE EVOLUTIONARY HISTORIES.”

Her YouTube channel is excellent, very informative and entertaining and you can contact her through her website https://rebeccasmethurst.co.uk

Thank you - will drop her a line.

Just watched a YT talk by Dr Robin Glover, he of Sharpcap fame, on Imaging with CMOS cameras and the mysteries of gain / offset and imaging times unfortunately he ran out of time so perhaps he could be persuaded to do the whole talk for SGL.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, JulianO said:

Happy to give some talks if you are still looking, I have a few - let me know.

Julian

Hello Julian glad to see you offering talks. I chaired the meeting when you gave your zoom talk 'Cold Dark Matter' to Herefordshire Astro Society. Hopefully, Grant will pick up your offer.

• Like 1

Steve Barrett of Liverpool University is an excellent speaker, and has been welcomed back several times by the Mid Cheshire and North Wales Astro groups. 

His last Mid Cheshire talk was done online and went very well. 

His talks are listed on his web page.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/~sdb/Talks/

Edited by Gfamily

On 30/12/2020 at 18:28, wimvb said:

I stand by my previous suggestion. 🙂

I've contacted Jasem but not heard back, is there anybody else who could give a talk on INDI, Ekos/Kstars etc..?

5 hours ago, JulianO said:

Happy to give some talks if you are still looking, I have a few - let me know.

Julian

Thanks Julian - PM coming 🙂

1 hour ago, Gfamily said:

Steve Barrett of Liverpool University is an excellent speaker, and has been welcomed back several times by the Mid Cheshire and North Wales Astro groups. 

His last Mid Cheshire talk was done online and went very well. 

His talks are listed on his web page.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/~sdb/Talks/

I saw a great talk by him debunking some of the common Moon hoax myths out there! Good suggestion.

1 hour ago, AstroRuz said:

I'd find giving a talk about something fun 😁

Just gotta figure out what 😂

🙂 Shout when you come up with something!

I've given a couple of talks that seemed to go down well.

"How we didn't get to the Moon" is one I enjoy giving*, and a couple of recent ones have been about the 1919 Eclipse that allowed Eddington to prove General Relativity, and "Edmond Halley, not just the comet man" is my most recent one.

* don't worry, I'm not one of those.