Narrowband

Synscan help EQ6-R

I really want to use the goto function, but for whatever reason despite putting in all the information correctly, 30.292089563488684 N , -81.56535336078903 W or 30° 17' 31.74'' N 81° 33' 55.4364'' W despite putting my timezone correctly, the date, everything I know of and aligning it doesn't goto correctly, what do I do?

What type of mount and GoTo are you using

Are you putting the date in correctly, it needs to be American format ie 12/29/2020

Daylight saving is NO

If UK, time zone is 0

Are you carrying out a one or two star alignment 

Have you set your home position accurately, scope up, weights down for an EQ mount 

Have you polar aligned 

All the above will assist with GoTo on an EQ mount if that is what you are using 

On 29/12/2020 at 16:52, Jiggy 67 said:

Just seen your title, EQ6 R Pro so all I said applies

I'm trying to polar align but I can't seem to get polaris in my polar scope, I can't see any stars at all through my polar scope, I'm in a light polluted area, it's clear sky as of right now me typing this. Any suggestions?

You should be able to see Polaris through the polar scope in those conditions, so long as you orient the DEC axis to clear the view path...  The field of view is fairly small, though. From your lat/long you appear to be in the USA. 

Check you have entered all the data in the right format.  The lat/long may require leading zeroes.  And don't enter the decimal format you quotre above.

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

43 minutes ago, StarGazerRandomGuy said:

I'm trying to polar align but I can't seem to get polaris in my polar scope, I can't see any stars at all through my polar scope, I'm in a light polluted area, it's clear sky as of right now me typing this. Any suggestions?

As Geoff said above

25 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

You should be able to see Polaris through the polar scope in those conditions, so long as you orient the DEC axis to clear the view path...  The field of view is fairly small, though. From your lat/long you appear to be in the USA. 

Check you have entered all the data in the right format.  The lat/long may require leading zeroes.  And don't enter the decimal format you quotre above.

The view through the polar scope will be blocked unless you move the dec axis to make the main scope horizontal (just in case you haven't realised that)

The area around Polaris is quite sparse of visible stars, so if Polaris is just outside your fov, it is not surprising that you don't see any stars. It's just a case of trial and error sometimes, kneel down behind the RA axis and polar scope, get your knees dirty if you have to, and visually align the axis with Polaris without looking through the scope at first, eventually you will get it.

I also find that the altitude scale isn't particularly accurate so be willing to change the altitude of the mount aswel.

There are apps that assist. I use one called PS Align Pro which has a daytime PA routine. It is not exact but generally gets Polaris in my polar scope fov, ready for fine tuning at night.

Don't give up, no-one ever said this hobby was easy!!  😀

• Like 1

I had issues with SynScan initially due to date format (mm/dd instead of dd/mm). Even with rough polar alignment the scope will point in the direction it should. 

Good thing with SynScan is that it has a polar alignment error tool that helps setting the correct altitude and azimuth. A quick Google search will give various links to this process. 

On 02/01/2021 at 07:39, Cornelius Varley said:

These should be entered into the handset as 081 34 W , 30 18 N

Synscaninit will also give you the correct co-ordinates, date and time and time zone.

I have my coordinates set up correctly, date and time zone correctly as well, still not aligning correctly, I still can't find polaris in my polar scope, what color is polaris supposed to be in the polar scope while the mount is turned on? When it's turned on the inside of the scope is red. I assume that the last problem is the RA and DEC axis, exactly how do I go about setting it up? In the manual it says I have to point it towards known RA and DEC coordinates how would I figure that out?

Edited by StarGazerRandomGuy

Regarding the Polar Alignment if you don't see any stars make sure your DEC axis is facing in the right direction.

Should look like this if you look into the polar scope (where the red cap is on mine) you should see a hole in the shaft that opens view through the polar scope

P_20210104_163222.thumb.jpg.e5582306af8185421b8cc9dfee5d86ba.jpg

Sorry if this is too basic but are you starting from the correct home/parked position?
I found this picture online which shows what it should be like.

I'm in Bortle 8 light polluted area and can't see Polaris through the polar scope unless it is quite a clear night and the annoying red light is off!  Try doing the setup with the power off and maybe you'll see something?

All the best

Michael

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pnghome_position.png.a6b0d39da2494bd8f48f6a4667490585.png

Edited by Synchronicity
Two finger typist, one of them can't spell :-)

1 hour ago, StarGazerRandomGuy said:

I have my coordinates set up correctly, date and time zone correctly as well, still not aligning correctly, I still can't find polaris in my polar scope, what color is polaris supposed to be in the polar scope while the mount is turned on? When it's turned on the inside of the scope is red. I assume that the last problem is the RA and DEC axis, exactly how do I go about setting it up? In the manual it says I have to point it towards known RA and DEC coordinates how would I figure that out?

In my polarscope, Polaris looks like a moderately bright white star.

I may be suggesting something too obvious, but have you checked that you have turned the Dec axis so that the hole in the shaft allows the polarscope a clear view, and taken the plastic cap off? Look down the hole - can you see a void or a shiny metal shaft?

And have you set the mount head for a latitude of 30 deg and pointed it north?  Can you see Polaris with your unaided eyes? If you can, the polarscope should definitely pick it up.

One thing you could try is to just do a two-star align, ignoring the mechanical polar alignment.  It may well align successfully, but report a huge polar align error.  Which you can then try correcting. If that works, you may eventually figure out why you are not locating Polaris with the polarscope.😀

To get a rough Polar alignment, set up your mount as per Syncronicity's post then add your OTA and look through that. So long as the scope is in it's starting position you can centre Polaris in your main scope using the Altitude and Azimuth screws then check it's in your polar finder and fine tune from there.  This of course assumes you can see Polaris in the sky in the first place. 

On 04/01/2021 at 14:55, StarGazerRandomGuy said:

When it's turned on the inside of the scope is red.

Have you got the polar scope illumination turned up too high?? Sounds like you have it high which will turn the inside red and stop you seeing Polaris, you may be looking right at it and can’t see it.

You can adjust brightness in the utilities menu of the handset, turn it down to a comfortable brightness