Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Got a new telescope don't know what to do please help

Recently got a jessops 900 - 70 telescope I followed the instructions to set it up I think i did it right but i don't know how to view stuff and what to do it came with a 20mm eyepiece a 12.5mm eyepiece and a 4mm eyepiece a barlow lense an erecting lens and an angle prism the instructions doesn't tell you anything after how to assemble it i have tried the view the moon through it from the inside of my house through the window but all i saw was white when i looked through it i tried to focus it using the focusing knobs but it didn't get better what stuff should i be doing?   which lenses should i use? and what stuff should i get? and how to view the moon and other things

Hi, welcome to SGL.

Were you using the angle prism when you were viewing the moon? And did you try with all three eyepieces?

One idea would be to practise in daytime first, so you can see better what's happening. Try to focus on a distant object with some detail in it. Try the 20mm first and then the others.

• Like 1

We have a 'scope with the same spec in school.

It's lovely on the moon.

With the 20mm inserted and nothing else, it should be fine.

The finderscope is a pit poop, (best set up in the day, by focusing the 'scope on a distant object and the adjusting the finder) but on the moon, with the 20mm, you should be able to find it by just moving the telescope around until the moon is in the field of view.

Best not to try observing from inside the house! :D

Try turning the focus knob so the eyepiece moves all the way in and then turn it slowly out until the moon comes into focus.

• Like 1

First thing to do is take it outside. Viewing through a window open or closed won't help. Forget about the erecting EP for Astronomy, put your 20mm in. Align your finderscope, assuming it came with one.(best done in daylight). For now, forget about the Barlow as well. All they do is increase magnification by the amount shown e.g. 2x or 3x. Only try the other EPs once you've been able to find what you want to see and focus on it.

• Like 1

I would try and get it working with the accessories that come with it before buying anything else.

Use the lowest power eyepiece (20mm ?) while you get used to how it works. No barlow lens and no erecting lens. Just the angle prism and the 20mm eyepiece.

It will perform better if you take it outside to observe.

While the supplied accessories will be basic, they will work and they will enable the scope to show quite sharp views.

If you start buying additional eyepieces etc, you will very soon have spent more than the scope cost so it is worth getting the thing to work first.

1 hour ago, amateur telescope said:

Ive tried it with all 3 eyepieces and with the angle prism what accessories do you recommend

Put the diagonal (angle prism) into the focuser and then put the 20mm eyepiece into the diagonal. Start with the focuser at one end of travel and then wind it all the way to the other end and see if there is any point where it is in focus on the moon. If you are looking at stars rather than the Moon, turn the focuser whatever way makes the stars smaller. They will be in focus when they are at their smallest, you cannot enlarge individual stars. 

2 minutes ago, amateur telescope said:

Is there any better way to focus it than the focusing knobs because they didnt really do much

Does the draw tube of the focuser move in and out when you turn the focuser knobs? 

1 minute ago, Ricochet said:

Put the diagonal (angle prism) into the focuser and then put the 20mm eyepiece into the diagonal. Start with the focuser at one end of travel and then wind it all the way to the other end and see if there is any point where it is in focus on the moon. If you are looking at stars rather than the Moon, turn the focuser whatever way makes the stars smaller. They will be in focus when they are at their smallest, you cannot enlarge individual stars. 

Does the draw tube of the focuser move in and out when you turn the focuser knobs? 

Yes

Hello Again.

As people have suggested, try it outside first, in the day time, pointing away from the sun.

Use the 20mm eyepiece and point at something in the distance, a chimney pot or aerial or church steeple.

Turn the focuser slowly through the whole length, all the way in to all the way out, until the object is in focus.

If the draw tube is moving, the eyepiece is in place and all dust caps are removed, then you should be able to focus on something. :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, amateur telescope said:

all i saw was white when i looked through it i tried to focus it using the focusing knobs but it didn't get better what stuff should i be doing?   which lenses should i use? and what stuff should i get? and how to view the moon and other things

If you're still struggling then perhaps a photo of the setup will help us determine if something is amiss.

Seeing white usually means the telescope is pointing at a white wall (if indoors, which is not the most ideal place to observe from).

Edited by jonathan