Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P - First impressions

Spile

This was my first telescope since the toy 2" refractor I owned as a kid in the 1970's. Since then I've just been a naked eye and binocular observer.

Ordered at the end of October from FLO, it arrived four days before Christmas, so I was very happy.

It is packaged in two parts and you can read more details in the excellent thread (below) from Adz.

It is a really well built telescope and I was able to follow the instructions to put it together without any issues.

A few really minor comments about assembly...

I did not find the base assembly instructions 100% clear - there is no mention about installing the three black feet and they are not listed in the parts list either.

I also inadvertently installed board D (half of the turntable) upside down. It would have been helpful to mention that the three stapled pads should face upwards.

Saddle side bearings - I think the diagram of the bearing, bolt and arrow is meant to show that the nut in the bearing is supposed to be closest to the bolt as it enters the bearing but this is not stated and I am not sure.

I think a collimating cap should have been included - it is only going add a few pence to the hardware cost and it saves having to butcher one of lens caps or bodge one together as I did.

In addition a few carrying/caring/dos and don'ts for your instrument and useful recommended accessories and an explanation why the OTA cap has a hole and cap (I know now) would be useful.

In terms of use...

Moving the base and OTA is no problem in terms of weight.

After checking the collimation, I found the primary was spot on but the secondary needed a slight adjustment to bring the 3 clips into view. 

I am delighted with the performance of the 200P and was very pleased on my first day out to successfully target the moon, five planets, M45, M42 and M31.

As I am getting on a bit, the finder is painful to use for high objects so I may get a Telrad. I have ordered a Baader Hyperion Zoom/Barlow - that is not a criticism of the two basic supplied eyepieces, I just need something better.

So 9.8 / 10 and I am very happy to recommend this telescope to others.

Tips/Updates

I used double sided tape to attach a small polystyrene pad to the base just above the carry handle (facing inwards). This acts as a stop when the OTA is vertical.

The Baader Hyperion IV Zoom/Barlow combination is a high improvement on the supplied EPs. Given that this costs almost as much as the 200P this is to be expected but it does demonstrate this instrument can be pushed further. I used the 2" adapter for this as it was more secure. When using the Barlow, I needed to extend the adapter about 5mm to achieve focus.

Collimation using the out of focus star method did not work for me using the supplied eyepieces but did work when using the Baader Zoom. A demonstration of the quality of this EP.

The 200P can be lifted and moved short (3-4 metres) distances when attached to the base.

The accessory tray is pretty flimsy compared with the quality of the rest of the instrument.

I needed to elevate the base to view Venus from my location  - I used a sturdy box to do this but have also tested a Black & Decker workmate which was a little too high for me.

IMG_20201221_181701.jpg

Edited by Spile
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, Spile said:

So RACI or Telrad....?

Another vote for both here :icon_biggrin:

In my case I use the Rigel Quikfinder instead of the Telrad but I agree with John (above) that having both is really useful.

dob12topend.JPG

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Another vote for Rigel and RACI. You're right about the bit of polystyrene and the collimation cap as well. It does frustrate me that Skywatcher miss these easy open goals that make this telescope so much better for relatively minimal cost. I've had mine for getting on for six years now. It was my first proper scope, but having owned quite a few others now I really appreciate just how good it is. 

An update on my earlier post. I have kept the straight through finder but because I am using it less the bad back is not really an issue because...

I have added a phone mount but not for photography. I am using the SkEye Pro app and indirect mode for locating targets.

I succumbed to a used Telrad and that is complementing the finder nicely.

• Like 1

• Spile changed the title to Skywatcher Skyliner 200P - First impressions