Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SynScan hand set update....

paul mc c

Hello all,i normally use the laptop to control my mount,but the other day i connected the hand set and after showing what version on the screen it wouldn't do anything,so what i have read i may need to update it.I have the original grey lead that came with the mount but it wont plug into my laptop,what would i need exactly to do the update.

Thanks Paul

33 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Hello all,i normally use the laptop to control my mount,but the other day i connected the hand set and after showing what version on the screen it wouldn't do anything,so what i have read i may need to update it.I have the original grey lead that came with the mount but it wont plug into my laptop,what would i need exactly to do the update.

Thanks Paul

To connect your hand to the laptop you need a good quality usb-serail convertor Sky-Watcher Synscan USB to Serial (RS-232) Cable | First Light Optics  or Lynx Astro FTDI USB to Serial Adapter for Sky-Watcher Handsets (5m) | First Light Optics which will replace your existing serial data cable. You also will need the update software and correct firmware to suit your version of the handset Sky-Watcher | Sky-Watcher Global Website .

• Like 1

The grey lead has a D9 serial connector.  You need a USB to serial adaptor to connect between it and your laptop.  Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-USB-Serial-Adapter-Retention-Black/dp/B000HVHDJ8

However I can't see why the handset didn't work if that was the one supplied with the mount.  Is the mount one of the newer versions with a direct USB connection to the PC? If so try removing the USB lead and then connect the handset.  If it's an older mount and uses an EQDIR cable then the removal of this cable and replacing it with the handset should still work.

• Like 1

Have you ever used the handset with the mount before? If you have then I don't see any use in updating the handset firmware unless you have possibly updated the motor contoller firmware since last using it.

To connect the older non-USB handset to the PC you'll need a USB to RS232 converter to connect with the supplied handset cable. Go for a FTDI chip-set version - they are normally a lot less problematic than the Prolific chip-set versions. You'll probably also need to download the software update installer from the Skywatcher website here:

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seelive said:

Have you ever used the handset with the mount before? If you have then I don't see any use in updating the handset firmware unless you have possibly updated the motor contoller firmware since last using it.

Yes have used it regurlarly  with out any problem,and have'nt updated anything,yea its the older non usb model.

18 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Yes have used it regurlarly  with out any problem,and have'nt updated anything,yea its the older non usb model.

Ok, can you still control your mount from your PC? If yes, then it would suggest a handset or interconnecting cable fault. More than likely it will be a bad connection on the handset to mount cable. If it's an RJ45 to RJ45 cable try swapping it with a standard ethernet cable (if you have one) to see if that works.

10 minutes ago, Seelive said:

Ok, can you still control your mount from your PC? If yes, then it would suggest a handset or interconnecting cable fault. More than likely it will be a bad connection on the handset to mount cable. If it's an RJ45 to RJ45 cable try swapping it with a standard ethernet cable (if you have one) to see if that works.

Yes I can still control the mount via laptop, this is what I have. 

IMG_20201229_144139.jpg

IMG_20201229_144149.jpg

1 minute ago, malc-c said:

All the images I can see have the cable connected to the socket next to the power connector on the handset... maybe you just have it in the wrong socket

It's the right socket ok, it has always been in that one, it doesn't fit the other, maybe the newer handset is different. 

So once it's connected with the mount powered up all you get is the current firmware version, and then nothing else? - no messages such as "no response both axis" would suggest communication with the motorboard, so does pressing any of the buttons allow you to set date, time etc ?

If I recall by default the slew rates are set low, so this would need increasing to detect movement, but that would be an option way down the list...

If you connect the mount back to the PC (presumably you are running EQMOD?) can you establish communications and control the mount now having tried the handset with the mount?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, malc-c said:

So once it's connected with the mount powered up all you get is the current firmware version, and then nothing else? - no messages such as "no response both axis" would suggest communication with the motorboard, so does pressing any of the buttons allow you to set date, time etc ?

If I recall by default the slew rates are set low, so this would need increasing to detect movement, but that would be an option way down the list...

If you connect the mount back to the PC (presumably you are running EQMOD?) can you establish communications and control the mount now having tried the handset with the mount?

Yes, no other message, and yes control via EQMOD and laptop. 

6 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Yes it's an neq6 pro, all I am getting on switching the mount on is the version 3.29 on the hand set screen. 

So you can't use an ethernet cable with a NEQ6. If you get the version number displayed on the handset then at least it's getting power from the mount. Normally if the handset can't communicate with the mount it automatically comes up with an error message. Have you possibly got a 'sticky' ENTER key on the handset that's preventing you from progressing?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seelive said:

So you can't use an ethernet cable with a NEQ6. If you get the version number displayed on the handset then at least it's getting power from the mount. Normally if the handset can't communicate with the mount it automatically comes up with an error message. Have you possibly got a 'sticky' ENTER key on the handset that's preventing you from progressing?

I will check that out,but it seems to work good with no stickness. 

Edited by paul mc c

32 minutes ago, malc-c said:

All the images I can see have the cable connected to the socket next to the power connector on the handset... maybe you just have it in the wrong socket

The handset / mount cable is correctly inserted. The socket in the middle is the one for firmware updates and mount control from a computer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

@paul mc c One thing I forgot to include in the items required is a suitable psu used to power the handset for firmware updates.

I have the suitable psu in the obsy. So would you think I require an update? 

Edited by paul mc c

When a handset is connected it sends out a command to the motor board and expects to receive a response back.  The handset typically displays "initializing" whilst it does this.  Once it has established communications with the mount it then displays the firmware version running on the handset.  If after this, pressing the menu (or any other button for that matter) has no effect then either there is a hardware fault on the handset, or the firmware on the handset has been corrupted.

In order to reflash the handset with the current or updated firmware you are going to need a suitable USB to serial adaptor (examples listed previously) and the free software from Skywatcher.  The 3.29 suggest its a version 3 handset - Full details can be found here http://skywatcher.com/download/software/synscan-v3-hand-controller-firmware/ including the instructions.

If after flashing the handset you still can't control the mount using it, then it would seem to be a hardware issue which would be impossible to diagnose over the internet.  The fact that you have mentioned an observatory and use a PC and EQMOD to control the scope might make all this a bit of a pointless exercise 

• Like 1

If you used the Handset and cable before (and it worked ok) then I would NOT flash the Handset - no point if you haven't updated the Mounts own firmware. It should still work if the orig cables are intact and the Handset hasn't gone belly up(tech term). Have you someone local who has the same Mount/Handset to test each element.

You are just trying to use the handset and Mount alone - no connecting to a PC ?????

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, stash_old said:

If you used the Handset and cable before (and it worked ok) then I would NOT flash the Handset - no point if you haven't updated the Mounts own firmware. It should still work if the orig cables are intact and the Handset hasn't gone belly up(tech term). Have you someone local who has the same Mount/Handset to test each element.

You are just trying to use the handset and Mount alone - no connecting to a PC ?????

It has always worked,just suddenly stopped,yes was just trying to use the hand set and mount alone.

24 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

It has always worked,just suddenly stopped,yes was just trying to use the hand set and mount alone.

Paul,  can you give a little more detail.  You previously mentioned that you use a laptop to control the scope.   When wa she handset last used, a week ago, month, year ??

My gut feeling is the handset has developed some fault, either when it was last removed, or reconnected... and reflashing won't resolve this...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Paul,  can you give a little more detail.  You previously mentioned that you use a laptop to control the scope.   When wa she handset last used, a week ago, month, year ??

My gut feeling is the handset has developed some fault, either when it was last removed, or reconnected... and reflashing won't resolve this...

I would have used it probably just a couple of weeks ago,i would now and again use the hand controller if i want to just view through the eyepiece and use the laptop when i am imaging.