Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st attempt at a stacked Lunar image

Stu

I finally got round to shooting some 4K video of the Moon yesterday evening, and had a chance to have a go at processing and stacking them this afternoon.

I ran two 1 minute videos through PIPP successfully, and one showing the whole disk stacked with little trouble in Registax. I had problems with a partial disk one though, it just wouldn’t stack properly so I switched to AS3 after a suggestion from a friend. This worked first time, and then I popped the result into Registax for a cumbersome fiddle with the wavelets.

I’m aware it is perhaps a little over done, but hopefully I’ll learn in time.

The setup was my Tak FC100DC on a Vixen GP. I used the Leica zoom at shortest setting, and attached my phone (iPhone 11Pro) to it using a Celestron NeXYZ mount.

8F9E27F6-3792-401C-8E17-722C965E1CFE.jpeg

E92F7CDC-2E7B-4AEE-9AB9-08BC3DC94F3F.jpeg

• Like 16

I like it.

I have always enjoyed seeing the rim of a crater, or the tip of a mountain seeming to hover in the darkness at the terminator.

So many overlook Luna when the bring out their kit for an enjoyable viewing session, but there is so much there!

• Like 1

Hi Stu, for me the second image of the last two is better - it has a more textured, 3D feel.  Completely agree w you on the less is more - I'm finding that a good guiding principle (even though s/times I like to blow it out just to see how weird it looks!).  I've never used Registax so can't comment on that, but I really like ImPPG (originally tipped towards it by @Rustedfor solar and I use it for both solar & lunar now, religiously).

(PS - can't believe you got those from an iPhone camera btw - I only have an old iPhone so I guess those cameras are a lot better now!)

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, vineyard said:

Hi Stu, for me the second image of the last two is better - it has a more textured, 3D feel.  Completely agree w you on the less is more - I'm finding that a good guiding principle (even though s/times I like to blow it out just to see how weird it looks!).  I've never used Registax so can't comment on that, but I really like ImPPG (originally tipped towards it by @Rustedfor solar and I use it for both solar & lunar now, religiously).

(PS - can't believe you got those from an iPhone camera btw - I only have an old iPhone so I guess those cameras are a lot better now!)

Thanks Vin. You’ve reminded me of ImPPG which I found really good for solar images so I’ll give that a go on these and see how I get on. It’s much more intuitive than Registax wavelets as I recall.

Thanks!

• Like 1