Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Grab and go advice...

22 minutes ago, Marc1964 said:

@Tiny Clanger you have put doubt in my mind. I have disappeared down the refractor vs reflector debate and agonised over dobsonian mounts... So I am now contemplating this: https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/bresser-messier-6-dobsonian.html#SID=1739

I've not seen that one before, or read any reviews. On one hand it is £90 more than the 150 heritage, and does not close up to half length for easy transport & storage,  but on the other , its focuser may be less agricultural than that of the Heritage ,and it comes with tube rings .  Otherwise the important bit of the 'scopes is the same: 150mm diameter , 750mm focal length

Bresser 'scopes (apparently, I have no experience of them myself) are usually rated as better built than skywatcher, so I guess it depends if you think the price difference is worth it.

2 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I've not seen that one before, or read any reviews. On one hand it is £90 more than the 150 heritage, and does not close up to half length for easy transport & storage,  but on the other , its focuser may be less agricultural than that of the Heritage ,and it comes with tube rings .  Otherwise the important bit of the 'scopes is the same: 150mm diameter , 750mm focal length

Bresser 'scopes (apparently, I have no experience of them myself) are usually rated as better built than skywatcher, so I guess it depends if you think the price difference is worth it.

The focuser alone seems to be a decent upgrade, and the lenses it comes with are apparently surprisingly decent... Not as portable, but seems to be a decent trade off build quality and portability... 😁 Just need to figure out what to put it on when I am out and about! 

The Bresser 6" dob is an f/8 scope with 1200mm focal length instead of 750mm found on the SW heritage 150. This translates to easier collimation, smaller central obstruction (higher contrast) and being much more forgiveable on eyepieces.

The focuser is also a notch above the SW. The tube ring will allow the scope to be attached to a different mount much more easily than any SW dobs. If you've made up your mind about a newt on a dob base, go for it. To get quality views with a refractor, you really need to spend a lot more than this.

Edited by KP82

49 minutes ago, KP82 said:

The Bresser 6" dob is an f/8 scope with 1200mm focal length instead of 750mm found on the SW heritage 150. This translates to easier collimation, smaller central obstruction (higher contrast) and being much more forgiveable on eyepieces.

The focuser is also a notch above the SW. The tube ring will allow the scope to be attached to a different mount much more easily than any SW dobs. If you've made up your mind about a newt on a dob base, go for it. To get quality views with a refractor, you really need to spend a lot more than this.

There are two models: the one you describe is the 'planetary' dobson, there is a table top mount 6" dobson which is 750mm and therefore fits nicely in my car boot... 

No final decision made yet, no stock in UK so no rush. I'm still thinking that a refractor may be a better option (102/600) in terms of my starting point which was a grab and go scope which I could move around easily with etc. but I would need a new mount.

Certainly get more bang for the buck with a dobson... 

Edited by Marc1964

• 5 weeks later...

Conc. the earlier Bresser AR102xs discussion: Why not use the Bresser Polaris, which does come with an although outdated but adequate mount for grab 'n go with manual tracking? According to Bresser the same Lenses are used as in the AR102xs. And the focusser is even better.

I'm using it stationary on a StarDiscovery mount for EAA with a SVBONY SV305.

Best
Peter