Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Widescreen centre.. problems..

philipok

I'm having a problem with the Widescreen Centre in London - wondered if anyone else had similar experience?

My mother-in-law ordered me a Kendrick dewshield online for Christmas and it still hasn't arrived - she has been phoning them every other day practically. They obviously have a supply issue, but why not tell her straight and cancel it, rather than endlessly promising delivery?

I like the shop, have popped in once or twice - they seem very friendly but this is rather embarrassing.

philip

That's a shame. :(

As you say its most likely a supply problem, but there's no excuse for not keeping the customer informed, and being straight with him. Just bad customer service, as simple as that.

Lets hope that they are not going to follow in the 'foot steps' of another well know astro equipment retailer, who have had so much 'public flak', their reputation now preceeds them.

Dave

I have had quite the opposite experience of TWC. In fact, before xmas Simon went out of his way to try and help. TWC is one of the places I would recommend to friends, especially as they nearly always have a presence at the shows, and as a premises based business, appeal to the more 'old fashioned' type of customer.

I have suppliers that keep me waiting for things too, and I know it is frustrating, especially when the cusomter is on the line and you have made promises. During these poor economic times, many businesses are grouping as much stuff together as possible to make trips worthwhile, I wonder if that might be the case?

Perhaps try e-mailing Simon.

TJ

I have sympathy for any dealer struggling with supply and communication at the moment. January has been very busy as customers rush to place orders before the price increases and suppliers are running down their stocks as the end of season approaches.

Simon is one of the good guys.

I hear what you say Steve, but Phil's mum-in-law has been doing the communicating for them, by phoning them every other day or so, so sorry, no excuse in 'my book'.

All that is needed is an honest answer, and if the customer is paying the call, then it doesn't cost the dealer anything.

Dave

I had good service from them when I bought my Newtonian and all the equipment just over four years ago (and I later got warranty replacement of the one defective part without a murmur). The delivery wasn't on schedule but that wasn't their fault and I was kept fully informed by Simon, via E-mail. I would be happy to recommend them. Hopefully this is just a 'blip'. Try E-mailing Simon.

• 8 years later...

Don´t know if it is allowed to wake up a thread this old but I found it since I´ve been having the same problems with the Widescreen Centre.

5 November: I order a product
8 November: My order is still "processing" according to their website. I email them to see if there is a problem.
               The Widescreen Centre reply to tell me that the item "will be with us today, and depending on what time it arrives, we will either be able to send out today or tomorrow"
               My credit card is charged the same day.
16 November: still no item or delivery notice. I email TWC and they now tell me they can´t get an ETA from their supplier. They will contact me when they hear from them.
17 November: I tell them I want to cancel my order and have my money refunded. TWC reply that they are sorry and that their supplier will have the item on the 22nd and that it could be sent to me to arrive 4-5 days later. Since I can get the item only 2-3 days later from other dealers I notify TWC that I still want to cancel my order and have my money refunded.
25 November: Still no word from TWC and no money on my account so I email them to ask how long the refund process usually takes. No answer
29 November: Still no answer from TWC. I email them again.

So, to sum it up, almost 2 weeks after I canceled my order they still have my money. Despite the fact that their Terms & Conditions clearly state that:

"Online purchases are only charged at the point of despatch and not until the goods are available. Any delay or problem in fulfilling your order will be advised prior to charging."

What to do? I don´t have a lot of money to spend on astro stuff (or anything else for that matter) so I´m not comfortable with someone else having my money and not answering me. Hopefully my last email today will get them to answer me...

4 hours ago, MartinFransson said:

Don´t know if it is allowed to wake up a thread this old but I found it since I´ve been having the same problems with the Widescreen Centre.

5 November: I order a product
8 November: My order is still "processing" according to their website. I email them to see if there is a problem.
               The Widescreen Centre reply to tell me that the item "will be with us today, and depending on what time it arrives, we will either be able to send out today or tomorrow"
               My credit card is charged the same day.
16 November: still no item or delivery notice. I email TWC and they now tell me they can´t get an ETA from their supplier. They will contact me when they hear from them.
17 November: I tell them I want to cancel my order and have my money refunded. TWC reply that they are sorry and that their supplier will have the item on the 22nd and that it could be sent to me to arrive 4-5 days later. Since I can get the item only 2-3 days later from other dealers I notify TWC that I still want to cancel my order and have my money refunded.
25 November: Still no word from TWC and no money on my account so I email them to ask how long the refund process usually takes. No answer
29 November: Still no answer from TWC. I email them again.

So, to sum it up, almost 2 weeks after I canceled my order they still have my money. Despite the fact that their Terms & Conditions clearly state that:

"Online purchases are only charged at the point of despatch and not until the goods are available. Any delay or problem in fulfilling your order will be advised prior to charging."

What to do? I don´t have a lot of money to spend on astro stuff (or anything else for that matter) so I´m not comfortable with someone else having my money and not answering me. Hopefully my last email today will get them to answer me...

Hmm.. My personal experience of TWC was poor/ignored communication so I struck them of my list just about as long ago as this thread!  Have you tried phoning them too, just to make sure there's no issues with Emails etc? If you're not getting anywhere with them I'd contact your Credit Card company & discuss with them.

Under our Consumer Contracts Regulations the default period they should deliver by is 30days
Consumer Contracts Regulations here implement the Consumer Rights Directive, so you should be covered.

Wait the 30days and if no joy get on to your card company and let them know.

11 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

Under our Consumer Contracts Regulations the default period they should deliver by is 30days
Consumer Contracts Regulations here implement the Consumer Rights Directive, so you should be covered.

Wait the 30days and if no joy get on to your card company and let them know.

Yes, but since I cancelled the order do the 30 days still apply? 

There you go.

I did buy a couple of bits from them when they had the shop in London as I liked to just pop in there when I was already there, and they always seemed to be helpful.  I've not used them since they moved out, preferring to use @FLO where the costs are comparable, which they almost always are, and whilst you may not be able to easily speak with someone on the phone, you do normally get pretty quick and full responses to emails.

I can understand the frustration of cancelling an order but still getting no response, as this would be covered by legislation saying that they should now be refunding him.  However, if there is a phone number available it is definitely worth giving them a call.

If the goods have still not left then contact you card company for a reversal. These days credit card companies do this straight away with little concerns regarding the retailer. I work in a similar circle and it make me mad when companies sell items they clearly do no have. I have know a company sell an item before they have ordered any so that they can use the customers money and demand to then order in the items.

Archived