Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Block built observatory

Danjc

I posted a while ago

about future plans for an observatory and recently this has become a green light viable project. 
I currently have an old pre fab 6m x 2.7m garage that was inherited when we bought the house. Being very old and now in desperate need of being replaced but as the title states I would like to build it with concrete blocks incorporating a 2.5m scope room.1.5m warm room and the other 2m for storage/workshop .  
My reasoning for blocks is longevity, less maintenance and the future ability to convert it back to a traditional garage if circumstances etc change. 
I have researched this and I’m aware of the thermal retention of the blocks but don’t see this as a big problem in the U.K. I could even clad the sides with shiplap to take and direct heat off the surface of the blocks during the day from the sun to aid them not warming up to much in the first place. 
there are a couple of well known users on here that have block/brick observatory's that reside in Spain who haven’t reported any issues. 
Your feedback being positive or negative is more than welcome. 

cheers, Dan. 

Just now, Peter Drew said:

Hello Dan.

I have built 3 block observatories and 3 block telescope housings with no apparent problems.  I have clad the exteriors with white plastic soffit strips for added weather protection and appearance.      🙂

That’s reassuring Peter, are you U.K. based ?

16 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Why not build the outer walls with blockwork and any internal walls with studding and plywood cladding so you can fix stuff to the walls if needed. Also easy to re arrange if needed later...

Good idea and along the same thoughts as myself. 

• Like 1

I had an existing block built shed that I converted for my ROR.

Painted white I don't find any issues about heat retention.  I tend to open the roof a bit before I start using the scopes to let the temperature settle.

My pier does sit fairly high so that the side walls are not above the scope horizontal axis by more than a few cms so when open it is very "airy"

(curved roof lets it slide over scope when parked horizontal)

The fully retractable roof on the telescope section also must help minimise any thermal current problems, any air movement is spread out over the whole area.

(may not be so good with a dome top).

I do have some wooden lining around the walls on the inside. Handy for fixing things to.

Located in the damp cloudy Scottish lands , so what exactly is this sun thing that heats the blocks up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1