Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CPU Advice

Hi,

I've used a Mac until now but its not easy getting comparable software eg Sharpcap and processing software, so am looking to get a minPC or even a compute stick for EEVA/AP setup (sharpcap etc, currently using a planetary cam but may also used DSLR). Mostly for image capture and live stacking, I have access to a desktop if needed for post-processing.

So looking at a couple of options for mini PCs, if all other things are equal (Windows 10 64bit, 4GBRAM, 128GB SSD etc), whats better, a newer Atom Z8350 (1.4GHz Quad-Core, released around 2015), or an older i5-2520M (2.5GHz Dual-Core, released around 2011).What Looking at benchmarks it seems the much older i5 is actually a much better CPU.

What about compute stick, nicely price and no moving parts, Atom Z8330, 2GB, 32GB, WIndows 10 32bit - powerful enough?

Thanks

Greg

If it's simply to drive the scope, run sharpcap, and guiding software like PHP2 then you don't need a PC with a huge processing power.  The first PC I used in my observatory back in 2011 was an Athlon X2 64 based machine (2 core) that ran windows 7, and it controlled the HEQ5, guided by a QHY5 / ST80 combo using PHD, and took images via APT and a DSLR.  So I would have thought most modern PCs would be capable of that.

However if you are looking at post processing (stacking and stretching) images then the more umph you have the better.  Although I still follow a few tech channels on youtube, I've been out of the IT industry for some years, but when the Atom processor came on the scene it was mainly found in netbooks and other mobile devices, and really didn't have the same processing power compared to the i3 and i5 desktop machines.  We used two Atom based machines to display call stat software on large LG TVs and they just about managed to keep up with the data coming in from the phone system. 

IMO I would suggest the i5 as it's running a full 1Ghz faster if you are looking at post processing.  If its just to drive the mount then both should be capable.

The cheapest option would be to get a RPi 4B 2GB and install Astroberry (INDI server) on it. Then install KStars/Ekos on your Mac and connect them to the INDI server.

Alternatively you could also VNC into the RPi and run KStars/Ekos/PHD2 locally. RPi 4B is powerful enough to run these smoothly.

Edited by KP82
  • Like 1