SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Connecting rig to powerbench across 10m - advice/recommendations needed

I want to power my AP rig from a 12v maplins power bench supply. My rig is max 10m from the power source. I want the cable from the powerbench to end in a cigar multi socket adapter, so its just the distance from the powerbench to this adapter I need to work out. Not sure if the 10m is too long and the cable will loose amps, or if there is a high powered cable that will be suitable. I will be powering my NEQ6, CCD camera and Huion light panel. Wondering if anyone else has done something similar to this and has any advice/recommendations? Thanks.

Some 2 core rubber cable 1.0mm2  (or better at 1.5mm2)  to a DIY splitter box on the far end is easy to cobble together.  Its only 13.8v so an easy DIY.

Should cost you £20 to £25 all in.

Rewire a cheap multiway socket direct to the longer cable for simplicity.

I have to say however I am not a fan of the cigar type sockets , there are smaller more reliable solutions.

Edited by fifeskies

I think the weak link will be the cigar connector.

Even if the voltage drop across that is acceptable at first, the "sharp end" on the connector is rounded, so only a small area makes contact. In addition the metal used is not generally very good - especially in the socket. It can easily corrode over time and is difficult to scrape clean.

If you have the option, I'd suggest replacing the cigar plug+socket with something a little more sturdy and weatherproof. Preferably with soldered connections.

• Like 1

I like GX16 "aviation" connectors. They come in a range of pin numbers, from 2-way up to (I think) 10 way. They have a lockable connection, metal bodies and are somewhat more weatherproof. In addition, you cannot connect them the wrong way round as they are keyed. And the area of the pins in contact with the socket is greater, so you get lower voltage drops when pulling high currents.

2 hours ago, pete_l said:

If you have the option, I'd suggest replacing the cigar plug+socket with something a little more sturdy and weatherproof. Preferably with soldered connections.

Thanks.  Not sure what the 'something more sturdy and weatherproof' is, or what the thing looks like 'with soldered connections'. Do you have any examples of this sort of thing? I want to connect up my NEQ6, CCD camera and light panel. Cheers.

1 minute ago, pete_l said:

I like GX16 "aviation" connectors. They come in a range of pin numbers, from 2-way up to (I think) 10 way. They have a lockable connection, metal bodies and are somewhat more weatherproof. In addition, you cannot connect them the wrong way round as they are keyed. And the area of the pins in contact with the socket is greater, so you get lower voltage drops when pulling high currents.

Thanks. So how would I connect my NEQ6, CCD and light panel to my power bench using these?

I use one of these to connect all my gear via PSU and can handle 10Amps and then boxed with GX12 connectors (smaller than the GX16) I think that the Neq6 uses these anyway but not 100% sure

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/5006-Bornier-à-vis-de-distribution-pour-modélisme-plusieurs-versions-DCC/142678095143?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=441663100909&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

11 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

I use one of these to connect all my gear via PSU and can handle 10Amps and then boxed with GX12 connectors (smaller than the GX16) I think that the Neq6 uses these anyway but not 100% sure

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/5006-Bornier-à-vis-de-distribution-pour-modélisme-plusieurs-versions-DCC/142678095143?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=441663100909&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Thanks fozzybear. Haven't the foggiest how I would use one of those or the GX12 connector things though.