sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Skywatcher 200p dobisonian outside glass smudge

Hi, I got a skywatcher skyliner 200p dobisonian a few days ago, my first observing session was out in the cold and the telescope dewed up when I bought it back in. I then noticed that the glass on the base of the telescope(not the primary mirror inside) was smudged and had a little ring shaped scratch on it. I tried cleaning with a lense cloth but it is still slightly dcratched and smudged. Does anyone know if this makes a difference to the inside primary mirror?

If you mean the base of the mirror cell this will not affect the mirror side.

A photo would help to give you advice.

Just let the telescope dry out on its own after dewing up , this is usually better than trying to wipe it off.

The 200p is a very nice scope , I used to have one and you will get to see plenty interesting targets with it.

Once you have had it a while and got used to it, I would upgrade from the supplied eyepieces , BST starguiders and Celestron X-Cel eyepieces are very good upgrades and not as expensive as the elite brands , and can often be found used on the forum for sale in good condition.

They will give a nice boost to the quality of the image.

• Like 1

Nothing to worry about there.

You don't need to clean the base of the cell , its there purely to hold the mirror surface on the other side.

The 2 sets of screws around the base ring are the collimation screws.

It is worth collimating your telescope, I suggest you take a look at uTube videos first.

I used a collimation laser on my 200p (and still use it on my CT10L) , I bought mine used on here or was it ABS the other reliable place for used astronomy bits.

You can get one on the usual auction site , but if you do that check the collimation of the laser before you use it on the telescope , again uTube explains how to to this.

Checking the laser , and collimating the telescope are both very easy.

I could collimate my 200p in about 5 minutes. I found it did need doing fairly often , but its not a big problem just to check it now and again.

There are other ways to check collimation without a laser , look on uTube .

Edited by fifeskies

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pincs
      Hi, I just got a canon eos 600d to take pictures with my skywatcher 200p scope. I am using prime focus with it which seems to work fine despite the problems people face with getting it to focus. I plan to get some great shots of the moon, planets and orion nebula but I was wondering if theres a way I can get shots of dimmer objects in the sky. At the moment i am finding this hard as I am limited to a 1.5 second shutter speed in order to prevent star trails, I am putting the ISO up high to get the most light but I was wondering if there were better ways to go about getting the best pictures without a tracking mount. Thanks.
    • By Corpze
      Hi, I know that there has been a couple of threads on how to collimate a newtonian, more specific, how to center the secondary mirror under the focuser.
      I bought mine "Concenter eyepiece" for almost a year ago and can't praise it enough - it makes centering the secondary a breeze.

Have anyone else tried this? What is your opinion?

I have also read that some have questions of how accurate it is? - I might not know the answer to this question, but what I do know is that after I have been centering the secondary with the Concenter eyepiece, I finish of the collimation with the Catseye XLKP and Blackcat. The small adjustments I have to make of the secondary after adjusting it with the Concenter eyepiece tells me it is very accurate. It is just the absolute finest adjustments i have to make afterwards.

I have made a video of how it works and how it looks like when I am collimating my scope. (10" f3,4 astrograph)

Best regards, Daniel

• By Anthony RS
      I'm selling my my 70mm secondary mirror I used with my 150mm F4 newtonian for 100$ (final price). Shipping expenses (from Beirut, Lebanon) on me for free provided I use LibanPost for shipping. We can discuss using other shipping methods and maybe splitting the cost.
      The mirror is brand new, still have the original package and box, bought the telescope a month ago and used only twice. No scratches, not even dust (images attached). Excellent mirror, no issues whatsoever, 94% reflectivity and optimized for the offset of f / 4 Newtons, but it can be used up to f / 5. It's from TS, made in Taiwan, original price is 134 euros (including VAT) excluding shipping and custom fees. Link below:
      https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10673_TS-Optics-Newton-Fangspiegel-D---70-mm-mit-Halter.html
      It does not come with the tilt screws and center screw though unfortunately.
      I can also sell you the spider vanes (1mm thickness) for 6 inch newtonian for 25USD. Also brand new but without the tilt screws and adjustment screws. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11056_TS-Optics-Spinne-fuer-6--Newtons---164-mm-bis-180-mm-Tubus-Innendurchmesser.html
      Let me know if interested.
      Clear Skies!
      Anthony
      <private email address removed>

• By Dippy
      Baader optical wonder solution is practically Isopropyl alcohol. Instead of £12 for a 70mL of it, buy a 1000 mL of Isopropyl alcohol for £22 (before pandemic it was only £5). They have also smaller bottles which will be cheaper of course. The Baader solution and Isopropyl alcohol don’t remove the toughest of fungi on optics, only a few of the less deep set ones can be treated with them. I have used both for cleaning eyepieces and on certain stage of cleaning several 8 to 12 inch mirrors. They both worked identical. When applied through an optical cleaning fabric, they remove ( dissolve) fatty oils and fingerprints on optical surfaces. I had cleaned a 12 inch mirror once which for some unknown reason had ice cream stain on it (cleaning followed standard operation procedure for cleaning coated aluminised mirrors).
    • By FranTeryda
      Hi! I'm Fran
      Not so long ago I took a picture of the ISS I never thought I was going to be able to get with the equipment I have. 
      After saving for a long time, I was able to buy my first scope, an OTA Skywatcher 200P. I adapted it to be used in a dobsonian base because it was the cheapest way I had to get it to work.
      One night, I thought it might be cool to try to aim and record with my phone an ISS pass overhead. During the first attempt, I messed up the focus extremely bad but you can't  imagine how happy I was to get a white blob in a frame that only I knew was the ISS. 
      The following afternoon I tried again. This time the flyby was almost exactly overhead and the night was crystal clear. So I manually tracked the station looking through the finder scope and recording it with my phone at 1080p 60fps. Without much expectations I downloaded the files into my computer to review them.  And was shocked with the results.
      The video was processed with PIPP, AutoStakkert and RegiStax. 

If someone told me the image was taken with a phone and manually tracked with a shitty dobsonian base I would not believe him! I got really lucky that night, but I can not be happier with the results. I believe I got to the edge of what I can accomplish with the equipment that I was able to buy. I'm not sure if ext step up should be a real camera or a mount. Anyway, any of them are too expensive 😬
      If you want to see the frames before processing (and some nice shots of the moon that night), I'll leave a link to the video where I show them:

Thank you so much for reading it all.
      Cheers,
      Fran

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.