Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lightweight power option for AZ GTI

Trentend

Appreciate there are a number of similar threads but struggling to find a consensus on a reliable and lightweight, portable power option for the AZ GTI mount (mine arriving next week). Have narrowed this down to;

a) Panasonic eneloop pro rechargeable AA batteries (or similar) but one or two comments suggesting these may not provide consistent/adequate power all the time for tracking and Wi-fi beyond a few hours?

b) TalentCell Rechargeable 36W 12V/6000mAh 5V/12000mAh or the smaller/cheaper 3000mAh version (are these safe to keep in the house / not prone to get damaged or combust if left in an unheated shed?)

c) I already have a tracer 12v 4ah LiPo battery pack used in my dob. Might be able to save a few pennies and just plug this in? Very rare I’d have both scopes out at the same time. Very rare I’ve had either out with the weather since October!

Any thoughts welcomed. Thanks

Edited by Trentend

I find the Duracel Precharged are the best. .The AZ-GTi only requires 8v to operate which is well within the voltage output of the batteries. Mounts that use a hand control need at least 11v just to operate the hand control which is why rechargeables can cause problems. 

The LifeP04 will be fine but recommend getting a Lynx power cable from FLO. Not cheap but worth it.

I use the Duracel Precharged for normal observing but woild use a LifeP04 for longer sessions. The Duracel will run the mount for quite a few hours and no cable or battery to bring along.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/12/2020 at 22:59, Trentend said:

Appreciate there are a number of similar threads but struggling to find a consensus on a reliable and lightweight, portable power option for the AZ GTI mount (mine arriving next week). Have narrowed this down to;

a) Panasonic eneloop pro rechargeable AA batteries (or similar) but one or two comments suggesting these may not provide consistent/adequate power all the time for tracking and Wi-fi beyond a few hours?

b) TalentCell Rechargeable 36W 12V/6000mAh 5V/12000mAh or the smaller/cheaper 3000mAh version (are these safe to keep in the house / not prone to get damaged or combust if left in an unheated shed?)

c) I already have a tracer 12v 4ah LiPo battery pack used in my dob. Might be able to save a few pennies and just plug this in? Very rare I’d have both scopes out at the same time. Very rare I’ve had either out with the weather since October!

Any thoughts welcomed. Thanks

I actually use your option B for my AZ-GTi and it works fine. The TalentCell lasts all night driving the mount without running out of juice. I went through several power solutions before I settled on this one and I haven’t had any issues so far. One of the big advantages is that it doesn’t shut down automatically due to the low current draw of the AZ-GTi, which my Celestron Powertank Lithium Pro does after just a few minutes. 

• Like 1

This is a selection of power sources that I use for my mounts:-

617153390_PowerSources-Annotated(R).jpg.d72b274ffb6c1f55c7e91842504af380.jpg

Most of the internal and external battery packs supplied with mounts, assume the use of 8-off 1.5V alkaline cells. NiMH and NiCd cells give a nominal 1.2V, so 10 cells are required for 12V. I have found that a pair of 6V 2600mAh packs (borrowed from my radio-controlled model sailing yachts), give a reasonable evenings observing.

I have measured the current consumption of my various mounts:-

1363373372_ConsumptionTable(2).jpg.78656ac4b776a39047c01c6acecac758.jpg

The current consumption for the AZ GTI mount is likely to be similar to that of my Celestron Cosmos 90.

Geoff

LiFePO4 batteries are your best and savest option, but also the most expensive.
But if you calculate their lifetime and recharging rates, they are cheaper per charge then anything else
and the discharging time is far better then lead-acid batteries, they hardly drop in voltage until they are almost empty, which does not harm them
not to tak about the convenient weight and size....