Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best Lenses for entry into Astrophotography and Celestron 8SE with EOS6D

Cosmoman

Hi, I am just purchasing a Celestron 8SE and the bits to attach my Canon EOS 6D to start getting into Astrophotopgraphy

I will start of with the planets, moons etc but will soon venture into deep sky objects (aware of the limitations with the mount but from this 5 min video Celestron NexStar 8 SE - Astrophotography - YouTube I see the results are good enough when starting out, can always change the mount later)

Anyway just after advice of what additional lenses to get...8SE just comes with a 25mm. Read mixed reports, one of which says around 6mm good for Saturn. Others are saying go higher than 25mm. So to cover planets and deep sky what would anyone recommendations be? And also the other option rather than get various lenses, get a zoom such as this: Baader Hyperion Universal Zoom Mark IV 8-24mm Eyepiece (harrisontelescopes.co.uk) Is this a better or worse option? 

Also does a wifi attachment make a noticeable difference, presume it allows me to control the goto from a tablet, touch screen to an object and off the scope goes rather than punching numbers into the controller....

Finally will a GPS make a noticeable difference to accurate aligning and therefore accurately finding objects and also how much quicker does this make things

Appreciate anyone advice.   

25 minutes ago, Cosmoman said:

Hi, I am just purchasing a Celestron 8SE and the bits to attach my Canon EOS 6D to start getting into Astrophotopgraphy

I will start of with the planets, moons etc but will soon venture into deep sky objects (aware of the limitations with the mount but from this 5 min video Celestron NexStar 8 SE - Astrophotography - YouTube I see the results are good enough when starting out, can always change the mount later)

Anyway just after advice of what additional lenses to get...8SE just comes with a 25mm. Read mixed reports, one of which says around 6mm good for Saturn. Others are saying go higher than 25mm. So to cover planets and deep sky what would anyone recommendations be? And also the other option rather than get various lenses, get a zoom such as this: Baader Hyperion Universal Zoom Mark IV 8-24mm Eyepiece (harrisontelescopes.co.uk) Is this a better or worse option? 

Also does a wifi attachment make a noticeable difference, presume it allows me to control the goto from a tablet, touch screen to an object and off the scope goes rather than punching numbers into the controller....

Finally will a GPS make a noticeable difference to accurate aligning and therefore accurately finding objects and also how much quicker does this make things

Appreciate anyone advice.   

I'm a little curious as to why your wanting an EP for astrophotography unless your question is referring to a good EP for visual.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cosmoman said:

Hi...yes will be doing both...

Ah, I did wonder if that was the case. The 8se is a good planetary scope as it has a very long focal length so it's great for planetary detail. With DSO's it needs a much lower powered EP due to it having quite a narrow field of view as quite a few of the larger DSO's are fairly big (M31 for example)  This is a good site (linked below) that will give you information about how different objects will look with different EP's , just enter your scope details, EP choice & object target & away you go. I'm not that familiar with the 8se as far as imaging with it so can't really advise you on side of things with it   https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

Edited by nephilim