Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first DSO! M42 From Norway

Pryce

Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Scope: Sky-Watcher 72ED
Filter: Optolong L-eNhance
Guiding: None.  I had issues getting my PHD2 guding to work, so I stuck with sidereal instead of problemsolving in negative 5 as this is the first and only clear night for a long time.

ISO800
Total integration 1h12m
Lights: 24 @ 180S
Darks: 72
Bias: 200
Flats: Due to a power failure I was not able to take any flats this evening.

I realize that just over one hour of data does not to this object justice.  Unfortunately clouds rolled in to that section of the sy and I had to change object. Luckily I got just under 4 hours on that one though.

Since this is my first DSO I didn't want to overdo the processing, so I went with a more sublte look. I'm note sure which one I like better.
Unfortunately I can see that my stars are slightly eggshaped, which is no doubt a result of guiding not working. Though, it's still my first one ever, so I expected some problems to arise along the way.

Edit: Oh, and next time I'm going to image this I'm going to give ISO400 a try to reduce noise as much as possible.

SECOND EDIT M42.png

THIRD EDIT M42.png

Edit: After some tips and feedback:

M42.thumb.png.169c2d3b7da5902ca23eee1370884787.png

Edited by Pryce
  • Like 16

6 minutes ago, Stargazer33 said:

Very nice! Way better than my first M42. You could also try taking some shorter exposures to capture the trapezium cluster and then blend that into your existing shot with a layer mask.

Indeed, that's definitely on my list.  I was supposed to do thatlast night as well, but unfortunately I was cut off by clouds and had to change targets.

I found it hard to pull out more detail in the running man though.  Anyone have any tips here?

Edited by Pryce

Great start @Pryce Stars aren't bad enough to detract from the image viewed at size above - lovely nebulosity and star sizes.

47 minutes ago, Pryce said:

I found it hard to pull out more detail in the running man though.  Anyone have any tips here?

Not sure if you already used masks for this, but if not, give that a try - just concentrating on that area - see what you can tease out before the integration time shows.

Keep up the good work, you did great especially having issues along the way as well.

Edited by geeklee
  • Thanks 1

I applied some suggestions that Olly came up with in the processing forum and I came up with this.

Some noise and gradient removed, which I think gives the image a cleaner look! 

M42.png

Edited by Pryce
  • Like 1