sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

COMPLETED - [SOLD] Altair Starwave 50mm Guidescope

This is the Altair Starwave 50mm Guidescope. Its focal length is 206.6mm. It's equipped with a 1.25" push-fit helical focuser which accepts either a guide camera with a 1.25" nosepiece (e.g. ASI120MM mini) or a 1.25" eyepiece. The drawtube has a T2 thread at its end, so a guide camera with a T2 connector can also be attached. There is also a 1.25"/T2 extension tube included.

The guidescope is in A1 condition. It has been my main guidescope until I got a SW EvoGuide 50ED recently.

Here is something very IMPORTANT for any potential buyers. The reason I've replaced it with the EvoGuide is because of its very stiff helical focuser. I had to hold the drawtube with one hand while twisting it with the other. Otherwise the focuser would just get un-screwed from the scope body. However because it was so stiff, once the focus was acquired I didn't have to worry about it sliding out by accident during guiding. The stiffness of the focuser wouldn't have posed any issues if I had a permanent setup.

£80 inc. UK postage

1680301585_Starwave50mmGuidescope.jpg.89d8994d7cb2ae3b69cc7de67ce55b6d.jpg

Edited by KP82

Just a thought; did you try a drop or two of oil on it to seep into the turning bearing and see if it would loosen up a little at all? I had a similar issue on a Baader focuser that was stiff too, but loosened up with a small amount of lubricant added into the turning bearing area.

Edited by Knighty2112
On 26/12/2020 at 10:54, Knighty2112 said:

Just a thought; did you try a drop or two of oil on it to seep into the turning bearing and see if it would loosen up a little at all? I had a similar issue on a Baader focuser that was stiff too, but loosened up with a small amount of lubricant added into the turning bearing area.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try (or any potential buyers could try it).

On 02/01/2021 at 16:03, hutchmo said:

I would like to purchase this scope can you please send the details across

pm sent