SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your Astro pressies, lol.

Nigella Bryant

5 hours ago, Mr Thingy said:

Hi Moonshed,

It was a bracket supplied with the HEQ5. It's a plastic holder, held in place with a velcro strap. Quite simple but seems to do the job.

I will get a picture of it later.

@Moonshed.Here's a link:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10189_Skywatcher-Replacement-Part-Holder-for-SynScan-Hand-Controller-to-Aluminum-or-Steel-Tripods.html

Not sure they are worth the €26 they are charging!

This came with my HEQ5.

Edited by Mr Thingy

1 hour ago, Mr Thingy said:

Thank you for the link, I took a look but don’t feel the need to part with €26 for it, but seeing it on your tripod leg and in more detail on the site has given me an idea, I have a thought of a cunning plan!

I will order a car mobile phone holder from Amazon for £6  and remove the windscreen clamp and then I can duct tape it to the leg. I’m sure it will work a treat.

Thanks!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Thank you for the link, I took a look but don’t feel the need to part with €26 for it, but seeing it on your tripod leg and in more detail on the site has given me an idea, I have a thought of a cunning plan!

I will order a car mobile phone holder from Amazon for £6  and remove the windscreen clamp and then I can duct tape it to the leg. I’m sure it will work a treat.

Thanks!

When I saw the holder I thought to myself how cheap and low quality it looked. It does its job OK but it really isn't worth €26 IMO, particularly when you could easily craft something, or do as you suggested with a phone holder, for much cheaper.

I'm not actually using the Synscan unit as I control through EQMOD, but I will keep just in case I decide to use later, otherwise I would pass you mine.

On 25/12/2020 at 15:34, Moonshed said:

My grandson bought me this mug, it gives details about the solar system when holding a hot brew. Gotta love it!

Cheers!

D00019DE-AC3C-4FC3-9DE9-3448818C8206.jpeg

I have just noticed that on the bottom of the mug there is a printed message, it says ”For best results use other end.” Brilliant, that brought a big smile to my face! As an added bonus I noticed that some of the proceeds from the sale go to group set up to support the unemployed. Made me smile even more! It has rapidly become grampa’s favourite and most used mug.

Edited by Moonshed
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Moonshed said:

For best results use other end.

Good advice for coffee mugs and telescopes too! We've all seen the pictures of back-to-front Newts in movies.

Edited by Ags
  • Haha 1

Yes johninderby rates it highly it's a nice design has a 2 inch rotation  ring so you screw your polarizing filter in there then eyepiece goes in on top and your turn the ring to dim the image 

Last photo is the rotation ring with 1.25 adapter screwed on top

Edited by Neil H
More info

1 hour ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

Hope the builds go smoothly. We're still waiting for a missing part to the space station which lego say they dispatched on Dec 29th and are blaming Brexit for the delay :(

I highly doubt it'll go smoothly as I have a 5 year old who's obsessed with Lego too.

Hopefully your missing piece will arrive soon

• Like 1

On 26/12/2020 at 14:33, HollyHound said:

Already posted on the “what did the postman bring thread”, but it’s a Christmas present so here it is...

The Night Sky Observer’s Guide Vol 1 & 2... these books are an amazing resource and will be great for exploring more targets with the 10” dob 👍

C56C0847-DC44-4F95-80F6-162116521AA1.jpeg

Great books. The only downside is that they  fuel your aperture fever!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bish said:

Great books. The only downside is that they  fuel your aperture fever!

Indeed... Fortunately I bought the Bresser 10" dob a month or so before getting these, so I'm holding off thoughts of bigger scopes for a good while yet 😬

• Like 1