Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 7000

tripleped

Probably not but I’d like to be proved wrong! The slightest amount of light pollution can make diffuse objects invisible. Also, consider that it is a very large object. To be able to frame it with your 10” Dob would likely mean using an eyepiece with a very large exit pupil which would look very washed out due to the light pollution.

I imagine that large nebulae are best seen with smaller telescopes (from dark skies) because then you can get a wide field of view but with a smaller exit pupil which helps with contrast. 

• Like 1

It's a huge object. Big binoculars and dark skies are probably the best bet for this one.

Here is the moon and NGC 7000 to the same scale:

North America nebula: what should I see? - Getting Started With Observing -  Stargazers Lounge

With a really wide field / low power eyepiece and a good UHC filter you might make out the outline of the "gulf of mexico" area.

Edited by John
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...