SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Test starfield image for plate solving please

cyteen02

Bit of a random request ....

Does anyone have a test FITS image of a simple star field that I can use to test plate solving in KStars/Ekos?

I'm slowly learning how to connect everything up sitting in the warmth of my study.  Yesterday I got my USB EQ Direct Interface cable Ekos connected successfully to my HEQ5.  

So the next thing I'd like to learn, while I'm waiting (and waiting and waiting) for the Manchester clouds to clear, is the plate solving options in Ekos.

Anyone have an image file I learn & practice with?

Many thanks

Paul

You can even switch the Telescope Simulator to use your mount indoors, and just add the CCD Simulator. A kind of fun way to play if the weather isn't good, the frames that the CCD Simulator gets from the GSC are hardly awe-inspiring, but they will be a valid star-field.

Thanks for this suggestion.  I set up the CCD simulator and played around for ages without success.  Finally worked out I'd downloaded all the wrong astrometry.net index files #doh 

With that sorted out its working like a dream.  Next step is to set the full mount up in the kitchen, as polaris is more or less in the direction of the extractor fan. Then I'll repeat the plate solving and have a go at the Polar Alignment process.

Onwards and upwards and clear skys ahead!

• Like 1