SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Polarizing filter

Neil H

Hi me and wookie1965 were chatting about filter for a lunt solar wedge i know i need a continuum filter thats the easy part but when it comes to polarizing filters there are 2 types single and 2 part filters ( i am stuck buying from amazon if i can i have gift cards to use up )

How do use it ??? Do you fit it to the eyepiece and then turn the eyepiece??? or do you have to turn the 2 parts oppersite to each other????

You just need a single polarising filter. The wedge acts as the other half of the variable polarising filter. With a 2” wedge the polarising filter can fit on the bottom of the 1.25” to 2” adaptor if you want. 

With a 1.25” wedge it wpuld go on the eyepiece along with the continuum filter and you simply rotate the eyepiece to vary the brightness. Of coirse with the 2” wedge you can simply fit the cheapepr 1.25”  polarising filter to the eyepiece as with the 1.25” wedge.

Rotating the continuum filer has no effect so it can be rotated along with the polarising filter.

Edited by johninderby