Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter and Saturn

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I last posted.  

Thought I would try to capture the Jupiter - Saturn conjunction with a basic widefield set up.  I used a Conon 1000D and a Nifty-Fifty lens; 2 second exposure per image;  14 lights and 5 darks and stacked using DeepSkyStacker (I didn't go completely mad with the exposure etc. as I'm re-learning the camera set.  This was just a trial run).  Bit of tweaking with GIMP (non-linear stretch, levels etc.).  The first image is the resulting shot, which isn't too bad.  I decided to play around a bit and zoomed up the conjunction part of the image and tweaked the levels a bit more.  The second image is the result.  I know you can't see anything of Saturn or Jupiter apart from blobs ... but it is the two fainter blobs at the 10 o'clock position of Jupiter that caught my eye.  I wondered if these represent two of Jupiter's moons.  I did a quick check and indeed Callisto and Ganymeede were in that approximate position at that time when I took the images.  Am I clutching at straws thinking they are the moons? 

Thanks

Pete

jupiter2.png

jup-detail.PNG

• Like 2

I think those two blobs are exactly as you suspect Pete , two of Jupiter's moons.  Love your photograph all looks nice and sharp. You must have found one of the few locations in the UK that had a clear sky. Ironically the sky here is now beautifully clear but earlier it was a blanket of cloud. 

Jim 

Edited by saac

36 minutes ago, saac said:

I think those two blobs are exactly as you suspect Pete , two of Jupiter's moons.  Love your photograph all looks nice and sharp. You must have found one of the few locations in the UK that had a clear sky. Ironically the sky here is now beautifully clear but earlier it was a blanket of cloud. 

Jim 

Thanks Jim.  I took the photo last night.  It has been raining pretty much all day here :(

Pete

• Like 1