SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planetary Nebula NGC1501

Jiggy 67

Anyone ever observed this nebula in Camelopardias?

Spent about half an hour with it tonight and I was really surprised at just how nice it is. I have to say, it was really small with the Morpheus 4.5mm (x222 mag) but a definite blue colour. It appeared to have a haze around it which shimmered as the seeing altered. Tried an 0III and a UHC but neither were any good, however, the Baader MOon and Skyglow made it stand out nicely.

Be prepared to work at this one, it’s quite challenging but I found it to be worth the effort 

• Like 5

This had me leafing through my notes. The Camels Eye Nebula, last time observed I think back in March 2017 and had maneuvered across from the lovely asterism Kembles Cascade and the open cluster at its base NGC 1502; the Golden Harp Cluster. Just a reference made that 'the Camels Eye is a lovely perfectly formed concentric planetary, one I think I had visited before and well worth seeking out'. Not certain what magnification I went up to, though I was using my 14" dobsonian. Good reminder to give this another go sometime.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an observation I made of NGC 1501 a few years ago. The notes read 'Quite large and immediately visible to direct vision even without the OIII filter. Round. With the OIII filter it appears occasionally to be darker in the middle, possibly with two voids. Very slightly elongated.'

As you say, it's well worth the effort. 

You don't say what size instrument you were using.

NGC 1501.JPG

• Like 3