SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Crab nebula st80

mark81

Finally had good enough skies for a go at the Crab.  I've never seen it before but with help from Stellarium, to the EP and back again, suddenly it jumped out at me.  With this scope you get used to most DSOs being faint fuzzies... But this one really stretches that expression.. it really was tiny and very very faint... One you could easily miss unless you knew exactly where sits. But it's another one off the Messier list with this little scope.. here's a little sketch..

Mark

Negative Image_7bfbfd83-b817-42dd-a8bd-91d35a4356fb~2.jpg

• Like 5

10 hours ago, mark81 said:

Finally had good enough skies for a go at the Crab.  I've never seen it before but with help from Stellarium, to the EP and back again, suddenly it jumped out at me.  With this scope you get used to most DSOs being faint fuzzies... But this one really stretches that expression.. it really was tiny and very very faint... One you could easily miss unless you knew exactly where sits. But it's another one off the Messier list with this little scope.. here's a little sketch..

Mark

Negative Image_7bfbfd83-b817-42dd-a8bd-91d35a4356fb~2.jpg

What magnification (s) are(were) used Mark ? 

@Voyager 3  I used both x26 (bst15mm) and x66 (SW 6mm UWA)to view the Crab last night, the x66 didn't make a huge difference to the nebula but made the background sky a bit darker - so that had the best result - and that's what's in the sketch..

Mark

• Thanks 1