Narrowband

Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn

Littleguy80

Despite the forecast not looking promising, I set up with the 10" dob and camera in hopes of seeing this. The Moon was bright through the drifting cloud. After 15 mins or so of looking through any gap of the cloud, I finally spotted a point of light through the cloud. Through the 9x50 RACI finder, I could see both of the gas giants. With my 10mm Delos they both fit into the field of view with ease at 120x mag. This was true even in my 9mm BGO which gave a slightly improved view over the Delos. The equatorial belts on Jupiter could just be seen. As the sky darkened and the clouds cleared the Galilean moons became more apparent. A star gave the appearance of there being a fifth moon which was quite odd. I spent some time grabbing some pictures. I tried the Pentax XW 5mm at 240x and could still fit both planets in the same FOV. The quality of the views weren't the best but the novelty of seeing them together at high magnification made that seem unimportant. With a poor weather forecast I feared I would miss this event so really chuffed to have seen it. A final look at Mars, after Jupiter and Saturn had disappeared beneath the roofline, rounded off an excellent early evening planetary session.

327103332_SaturnandJupiter.thumb.jpg.583baf018a41e21f3c03c917df4ba915.jpg

• Like 9

Really good photo, that must feel very satisfying. I think that like reading a lot of reports, quite a bit of determination with the weather has been required, yet seems to be paying off. Upon my own second attempt, heading to a high point on the Town Moor with binoculars was rewarding. The image Neil, a lasting memento of this event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, scarp15 said:

Really good photo, that must feel very satisfying. I think that like reading a lot of reports, quite a bit of determination with the weather has been required, yet seems to be paying off. Upon my own second attempt, heading to a high point on the Town Moor with binoculars was rewarding. The image Neil, a lasting memento of this event.

Thanks Iain. Yeah, really pleased with it. It’s had a good reception from my local astro society too which is nice. We have quite a few non observers who simply have an interest so it’s lovely to be able to share these events with them. Really pleased to hear you got some good views with the binoculars. 

• Like 1