Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Swan Nebula (M17) in Hubble Palette

glowingturnip

Here's my latest homage to this glorious object...

50739742206_a3d47563b7_o.png

Swan Nebula (M17) SHO by Stuart Goodwin, on Flickr.  Please click through for hi-res version.

I took some Sii in the summer and added it to Ha and Oiii I'd taken in the previous year.  13x 900s Sii added to 17 each x 10min Ha and OIII, darks, flats and bias, equipment as per sig, processed in Pixinsight, taken in a dark sky sight in Spain.

I've previously published an HOO version:

48884683001_8e20c1046f_o.png

Swan Nebula (M17) in bicolour HOO by Stuart Goodwin, on Flickr

and an Ha monochrome detail:

48884675961_132f555f1f_o.png

Swan Nebula (M17) detail in Ha by Stuart Goodwin, on Flickr

The Swan Nebula, also known as the Omega Nebula or the Horseshoe Nebula (M17) is an H II region in the constellation Sagittarius. It is located in the rich starfields of the Sagittarius area of the Milky Way.  The Swan Nebula is between 5,000 and 6,000 light-years from Earth and it spans some 15 light-years in diameter. The cloud of interstellar matter of which this nebula is a part is roughly 40 light-years in diameter and has a mass of 30,000 solar masses. The total mass of the Swan Nebula is an estimated 800 solar masses.  It is considered one of the brightest and most massive star-forming regions of our galaxy. Its local geometry is similar to the Orion Nebula except that it is viewed edge-on rather than face-on.  The open cluster NGC 6618 lies embedded in the nebulosity and causes the gases of the nebula to shine due to radiation from these hot, young stars. It is also one of the youngest clusters known, with an age of just 1 million years.

Hope you enjoy it - comments and cc welcome 🙂

Stuart

• Like 11