Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trapezium in Orion

With a beautifully clear night yesterday after the rain had cleared, I had another try at imaging the Trapezium quartet in Orion using a 180 Mak, AS1224 colour camera, 125 ms frames and processing in Autostakkert and PS. I've stacked the best 30% of 500 frames. The seeing was variable, but mainly poor to average. Afterwards, I spent a happy hour revisiting many of the glorious Orion doubles until cloud set in.

I've inverted and labelled the frame for identification.

Chris

trap23_38_40_g4_ap1.pngtrap23_38_40_g4_ap1b.png

Edited by chiltonstar
  • Like 5

interesting image as very often they appear like little triangles to me also- they seem to suffer from poor seeing a lot more than other stars 🤷‍♂️

Interesting too the colours of the e and f stars- is that real?

Mark

Edited by markse68

4 hours ago, markse68 said:

interesting image as very often they appear like little triangles to me also- they seem to suffer from poor seeing a lot more than other stars 🤷‍♂️

Interesting too the colours of the e and f stars- is that real?

Mark

I suspect that the colours are an artefact caused by the faintness of E and F and the purple background of the nebula.

Chris

On 20/12/2020 at 11:53, markse68 said:

interesting image as very often they appear like little triangles to me also

Triangles can be a sign of pinched optics. I have a cheap 80mm f5 refractor which shows this beautifully if I tighten the objective lens retaining ring

Cheers

Robin

9 minutes ago, robin_astro said:

Triangles can be a sign of pinched optics. I have a cheap 80mm f5 refractor which shows this beautifully if I tighten the objective lens retaining ring

Cheers

Robin

Hi Robin- very true but mine’s a reflector and the mirror is free to move in it’s cell and it only ever seems to show the trapezium as triangles- but not always. It’s very strange. I think it must be an effect of viewing it too early when it’s too low to the horizon and poor seeing. 

Mark