Jump to content

sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

Recommended Posts

My current setup is a mak 127 on an AZ5. I use a 6x30 RACI finder which allows me to combat the narrow FOV of the mak and hop about the sky.

However I'm finding it hard sometimes to get my starting star in the RACI. Was thinking about getting a Rigel, and using that to get me in the area, the then move to the RACI to hop when the maks fov is too small.

My question is: those who have a Rigel on a mak, where do you mount it? Towards the front end of the OTA, or towards the back? Pictures would be helpful.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be watching this thread with interest, as I have a rigel quickfinder sat on the shelf, awaiting me spending an hour or two faffing around with blutack , masking tape or possibly elastic trying it out in various spots on the 127mak . Be good to have someone with experience narrow the possibilities down a bit !

Heather

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Mine is mounted on the back on the finder shoe via a three way extender and a finder shoe to QuikFinder adapter.  That way, I can still mount a RACI there as well as a laser sight via this adapter.

Interesting, I'd seen that adaptor, but didn't know if it would result in the finder being pusher further towards the eyepiece. I already clip my head on the tip of the RACI sometimes when peering down the eyepiece.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Mak is left side mounted on my alt-az, so the 3-way dovetail adapter allows the RACI to be pushed further left and lower by mounting it in the leftmost position, improving balance in altitude.  I can't remember in which order I have the QF and laser sight, but I really only need one or the other in general, so I generally mount one or the other, but not both.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you are ready for a bit of overkill..... 🤦‍♂️

I work on the principle that I need all the help I can get, ignore the direction the finderscope eyepiece is pointing, my excuse is that I was in the process of setting them up. The Skymax 180 has two sets of holes drilled for the shoe so I installed a red dot finder in the second spare set and fitted the rigel in the middle. I just made sure that the rigel base was as parallel as I could get it to the shoe base before I stuck it on. I start with the red dot, get closer with the rigel and as good as with the finderscope. Works for me. A little note in that the rigel bulls eye arrangement is very dim so you can only set this up at night. 

Hope it helps 

Les

IMG_3001.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, M40 said:

Hope you are ready for a bit of overkill..... 🤦‍♂️

I work on the principle that I need all the help I can get, ignore the direction the finderscope eyepiece is pointing, my excuse is that I was in the process of setting them up. The Skymax 180 has two sets of holes drilled for the shoe so I installed a red dot finder in the second spare set and fitted the rigel in the middle. I just made sure that the rigel base was as parallel as I could get it to the shoe base before I stuck it on. I start with the red dot, get closer with the rigel and as good as with the finderscope. Works for me. A little note in that the rigel bulls eye arrangement is very dim so you can only set this up at night. 

Hope it helps 

Les

IMG_3001.jpg

I can see a gap for a 4th and maybe a 5th finder! 

I think towards the read it the OTA makes more sense, but I was just concerned that I'd constantly be headbutting the Rigel because my 127 is obviously dinkier than your beast 😛

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I mounted a Telrad alongside the SW 9x50 and finding & centring Goto stars is solved.  Looks a bit weird to start with as is a big plastic box on a short tube but it has a certain WWII fighter-pilot charm and once I'd used it once there is no going back.  Spent more time than I expected enjoying the wide field view in the finder too! 

Now finding Starhopping as quick as goto to acquire targets, then using the Point & Track feature on the AZ GTi mount to stay centred. 

IMG_6917.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SuburbanMak said:

I mounted a Telrad alongside the SW 9x50 and finding & centring Goto stars is solved.  Looks a bit weird to start with as is a big plastic box on a short tube but it has a certain WWII fighter-pilot charm and once I'd used it once there is no going back.  Spent more time than I expected enjoying the wide field view in the finder too! 

Now finding Starhopping as quick as goto to acquire targets, then using the Point & Track feature on the AZ GTi mount to stay centred. 

IMG_6917.jpg

Nice set up. I have the Skymax 127 az gti and have the rdf fitted at the moment but would like to fit my 9x50 raci finderscope to it but I wondering if it would be to heavy for my mount. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Rigel on order and am going to have to play with where to put it.

My current thinking is to shove it further along the scope as my issue with the rdf at the back of the refractor is apl the yoga when at or nearing zenith.

I expect I’ll do what @Tiny Clanger is suggesting and try some blutak or something and make sure it looks ok before commiting with the sticky pad🤔

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

Nice set up. I have the Skymax 127 az gti and have the rdf fitted at the moment but would like to fit my 9x50 raci finderscope to it but I wondering if it would be to heavy for my mount. 

Is running fine with both finders on board + a heavier eyepiece than supplied.  At first it squealed when lowering the altitude but after moving along the clamp bar a couple of inches all sounded happy again and has performed as normal after. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for your input. Just a wee update with where I decided to position the Rigel.

Only had a couple of chances to try it (typical Scottish weather). But it's A LOT easier to navigate around the sky now.

IMG_20210130_162219__01.jpg

IMG_20210130_162238.jpg

Edited by davyludo
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.