Narrowband

Budget diy observatory build

Glennbloke

Hi Glen,

Brilliant build & a video that will inspire a lot of like minded astronomers to build their own observatories. I have racked my brain for a name for your observatory, it needs to be special and I haven't got it yet.....

You did mention automation and I know it may be a future concept. But, if you do, look into the LevesDome project. A nice, low cost, project that has given me another level to my astrophography.

Steve

• Like 1

Very nice video.  One comment.  I know you said the roof was bolted down when shut, but since it is so light, what about when it is open, do you have a mechanism to stop it flying off the legs when open.  I know someone that happened to.

As for a name.   Well since you call it a Budget Observatory Build (BOB), what about the BOBsy (BObsy).

Or since your name is Glen, The Gl Ob  (The GLOB).

I also know some-one who called their Shed Observatory The SHOB (He's in Australia). 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 3

Good job Glenn, I made my obs'y many years ago from a 6X6 Keter shed, don't know why more folk don't use them although there are a few members here with them.
As you say it's a great advantage to erect it quickly and start to use it then modify it at your leisure, I had scope on tripod and used to just lift the roof off while I was pondering on ROR, eventually made it with external runners and spring lifters to retain the original integrity of the design, made a telescopic pier to overcome the limited field of view imposed by the high walls but don't need to use it very often.

Dave

• Like 1

Nicely done Glenn!

I also have a 6X6 Keter shed observatory, modified from a design on this forum, the "Plastic Pig". Mine has an internal rail system, so when the roof is closed I  use the original plastic bolts to secure it. Nothing is visible from outside, so it still looks like a normal shed. It cannot be automated though!

Tony.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your kind comments. 

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to contact me as only too happy to help.

Davey-T, a special thank you as it was your post and another which if I remember was the plastic pig that gave me the info on the keter shed.  I thought it was a great idea and now I have one would highly recommend it. I don't think it can be beaten for its versatility and price point. 

• Like 1

On 17/12/2020 at 11:15, carastro said:

Very nice video.  One comment.  I know you said the roof was bolted down when shut, but since it is so light, what about when it is open, do you have a mechanism to stop it flying off the legs when open.  I know someone that happened to.

As for a name.   Well since you call it a Budget Observatory Build (BOB), what about the BOBsy (BObsy).

Or since your name is Glen, The Gl Ob  (The GLOB).

I also know some-one who called their Shed Observatory The SHOB (He's in Australia). 

Hi Carole.

I am quite lucky that I am sheltered from all sides where it is and not had any problems with the roof wanting to leave unannounced.  Thank you for your suggestions on a name. I really need to sit down and settle on something. My wife says I talk too much so maybe Gobsy.....lol

• Haha 3

Hi Glen

A good video and great budget observatory, you must be pleased with the final outcome. May I ask if there was anything you would have done differently now that you have had time operating the system. Additionally have you fitted or considered environmental control to protect the equipment. I noticed you lined the inside with some form of insulation and how did you attach it?

Martin

On 29/12/2020 at 09:07, Xsubmariner said:

Hi Glen

A good video and great budget observatory, you must be pleased with the final outcome. May I ask if there was anything you would have done differently now that you have had time operating the system. Additionally have you fitted or considered environmental control to protect the equipment. I noticed you lined the inside with some form of insulation and how did you attach it?

Martin

Hi Martin

Thanks for your kind comments. I am very pleased with the Obsey and it has made a huge difference. Environmental controls and power to automate the roof are really the only changes I will be making. So far it has performed flawlessly for me and I couldn't be happier. I attached the silver insulation with just some double sided adhesive tape. It definitely helps and stays nice and warm/dry no matter what the good old British weather decides to chuck at it.

Glenn

Hi Glen very interested in doing this type of obsy shed my self i presume that you got the factor keter shed as there is many different models and the only one with bolts for roof seems to be the factor model

thanks stuart  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2021 at 16:08, Pid said:

Hi Glen very interested in doing this type of obsy shed my self i presume that you got the factor keter shed as there is many different models and the only one with bolts for roof seems to be the factor model

thanks stuart  

Hi Stuart 

yes i do believe its the factor 6x6. Towards the end of the video I jump online and show the shed details as listed by Argos. I am not sure if other Keter sheds are as easy to convert as this one is.

glenn

• 2 months later...

Great video, and very inspirational.  I’ve got a spare a Keter 6x5 plastic shed that I’m going to use, like you I’ll just be placing it first, with the scope on a tripod until I decide on final location.  I’ll then build a pier and a decent base.  I’ve removed the roof and will use your copper pipe brace trick to stabilise it.  Off to B&Q tomorrow !
thanks, Graham

17D3242E-1762-49A3-BF98-4FDBD7DDAA4C.jpeg

• Like 1