Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alternatives to GRAVES radar?

ZiHao

Hello,

Recently I got interested in radio astronomy simply because clear skies are way too rare! So I plan to dip my toes in the water by doing radio meteor detection. Many on the forum are doing this by detecting the radio waves from France reflected to the receiver. In Malaysia, I think this is unfeasible, so do you guys know any transmitter in Asia that emit high power continuous wave? Not sure whether this is the key word, if there are other alternatives, please do let me know. Thanks.

1 hour ago, wxsatuser said:

How about an FM radio station.

Chose one you cannot hear direct and that is up to 1000km away.

There's one in Borneo island, 1646km away at 89.5Mhz. But at 89.6Mhz, there is a station as well about 100km away, when I tune to this frequency with my FM radio mobile app, there is only static noise. Not sure whether this will affect the results.

Does the transmission power matter a lot? If yes, what's usually the minimum for meteor detection? I saw a youtube video that someone managed to receive the signal from the same station in Borneo (89.5Mhz) at about 4000km away.

Edited by ZiHao