Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It might have been used when he bought it so needed cleaning and collimating.

I bought a new 10” dob some years ago - great views - but it hurt my bad back so sold it quite quickly.

The new owner could not believe how good it was.

It may be genuine - ask the seller some questions.......

Edited by dweller25

I'd only collect something like this, alarm bells would ring, but if it was a bargain and I wanted it I'd go and take a look.

Shining a head torch down a newt tube will quite effectively reveal any marks, micro scratches and indeed dust, pollen etc.  I wouldn't expect a mirror to be spotless, but any sign of fine scratch marks from previous cleaning and I'd run a mile or ask for £150 off the price to cover the cost of a recoat.

Quite a few years ago I picked up a Skywatcher 10 inch dob in fine condition for £100 as a "buy it now" on e.bay. I had to drive about 150 miles round trip to pick it up but it was well worth it.

The owner had not used the scope for some time and had lost interest in the hobby. I think his other half wanted it gone hence the low price - priced for a quick sale, as they say !

My biggest worry with your scope is if an inexperienced owner cleaned the mirror and has left scratches in the coatings. I would prefer a slightly dusty but uncleaned mirror to be honest with you. So check the condition of the mirror carefully before committing.

• Like 3

I had a very similar experience only last weekend ... I bought a 200p dobsonian  ... i asked the seller to show me the mirrors by taking a picture , as i had to travel a long way to collect the scope , which he did and , the scope was absolutely immaculate . Most of the time people will be selling for genuine reasons ... of course buying on Ebay and gumtree is a little more risky (sometimes)  , thats why buying off a reputable site like this one is , shall we say , puts the mind at rest . 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie