Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen GP mount question

F15Rules

As discussed, happy to have been able to help Dave. 

We couldn't possibly have one of those wonderful green GPs out there not functioning quite as it should.

Just to clarify for any future readers though the end bolts are M6 and the middle bolt is M8.

Ade

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Since my last post on this mount, I've started using it with my recently acquired Long Perng 80mm F6 widefield achromat.

The mount sits on a nice old Unitron wooden tripod which I sanded down and treated with teak oil: it is lightweight and easy to move about. The mount is really overkill for a 2.5kg or so OTA, but the benefit is that is is just absolutely rock solid!👍

Another small change I've made is that the mount came to me with a white Skywatcher counterweight. It works fine of course, but the white colour jars a bit.. in the course of cleaning out my mancave I found a tin of Wilko light green paint, suitable for exterior use on metal, and although not an exact match it does look better, I feel.

That just leaves the white SW tripod mounting head to paint the same colour when I get a few minutes spare..😊

Dave

IMG_20210408_175803204_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210417_102547877.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 3

That paint looks a reasonable match Dave and doesn't clash as much as the white did.

When I was converting my TAL wooden tripod, I was very fortunate and @Alan White very kindly donated me a Vixen tripod top to finish it off.

Maybe try a wanted post for one.

You never know, you might strike it lucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1