SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What do we think of spotting scopes for astronomy?

I know, I know - these usually have 45° diagonal that is suited for daytime use and awkward at night and will probably cause spikes on stars or whatever,

but I wonder - could these be good value for the money for astronomical use?

There are a lot of people on tight budget, I mean - like really tight - £100-£150 and they often end up getting beginner scopes in 70mm class on wobbly tripods. How about this instead:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/acuter-spotting-scopes/acuter-natureclose-st65a-16-48x65-waterproof-angled-spotting-scope.html

Or maybe this:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-spotting-scopes/acuter-natureclose-st80a-20-60x80-waterproof-angled-spotting-scope.html

For £155 - you essentially get erecting 45° prism, zoom eyepiece, F/6 80mm achromat in a self contained lightweight package?

• Like 1

After spending years taking a vague interest in Astronomy with just Binoculars my wife bought me a telescope, and she bought me the Celestron branded of exactly one of those.

It started me off, I managed to get lovely views of the moon, and managed to focus on the planets a couple of times. We also used it to spy wildlife in the fields out the back of the house, so I would think it is OK for someone who might generate an interest in Astronomy, and has a general Interest - wildlife, birdwatching etc... I've now moved on, but it is still an easy scope and tripod to just get out the back and point at the moon - whereas the rest of my kit does take about 30minutes to set up (it's an imaging rig).

However, since then, if my wife wants to buy me something then I ask her to contribute to my budget rather than surprise me with something. I think she sees now how my hobby has grown and wouldn't be able to make a decision on my behalf as to what I might want to buy next.

A word of warning on these, the spotting scope eyepieces are rather non-standard if you are trying to fit astronomy eyepieces, they're not 1.25" nor are they 2". The Baader MkIV Zoom lens does however come with adapters that allow fitting to a spotting scope.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gilesco said:

A word of warning on these, the spotting scope eyepieces are rather non-standard if you are trying to fit astronomy eyepieces, they're not 1.25" nor are they 2". The Baader MkIV Zoom lens does however come with adapters that allow fitting to a spotting scope.

TS has couple of models that accept 1.25" eyepieces - so that is nice bonus.

For example this 65mm model:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8489_TS-Optics-Optics-Spotting-Scope-BW65Z--16-48x65-mm---1-25--interchangeable-eyepieces.html

80mm is quite a bit more expensive though.

I used to have one of these Pentax spotting scopes that used 1.25” eyepieces. Excellent scope but never liked using it for astro observing for some reason.

https://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-pentax-pf-65eda-ii-angled-scope-with-6-5-19-5mm-zoom-eyepiece.htm

Edited by johninderby

I currently use a celestron spotting scope and decent tripod at the moment. It’s the one with a zoom eyepiece and although it is quick and easy to set up, aside from views of the moon and bright planets don’t expect too much. It’s ok on brighter DSO’s but it’s not as good as a small refractor.

• Like 1

I'm considering one of these instead of binoculars as well.

I only use one eye when observing (other has severe astigmatism - can't be corrected with glasses) so getting binoculars is kind of 50% waste :D

These look like decent monocular replacement - with added zoom ability. Our local retailer added Levenhuk Blaze Base lineup that is very affordable - 60mm model is only 70 euros. I do worry about quality of this item.

Then there is this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7320_TS-Optics-Zoom-spotting-scope-15-45x60--45----Top-price.html

Which would set me back 89 euro total after VAT and import duty. Somehow I feel it would be better quality item than Levenhuk?

My Celestron C-90 Mk is sold as a spotting scope, and mine is a little treasure. M42 just jumps out of the ep. using my 2x Barlow, and supplied 12 mm ep, it resolves the Cassini division of Saturn’s rings very well. The GRS of Jupiter can easily be seen, and moon shadow transits are a treat. Compact, light, and superb contrast, uses 1.25” ep’s and punches WAY above its class. A full moon is blindingly clear.

Edited by theropod
Typo
  • Like 2

I would love a decent spotting scope, have the Mak which is superb would love something with a much lower magnification and 90 degree corrected prism.

I am one of those poor souls that cant bear upside down wrong way round images and corrected 90 degree prisms especially 2 inch versions are like "hens teeth".

Alan

45° angle quickly becomes a real pain for astronomical use at higher declinations, although a tripod with elevating center column will help with this somewhat. I use one for quick looks on occasion when higher powers are unnecessary. If terrestrial observing is the primary use, astro secondary, a spotter can be a useful option.

• Like 2

An astronomy scope is designed to do one thing well, focus at infinity. Anything else is a bonus. Spotting scopes are more like other optical instruments... so, camera lenses, binoculars and other optical instruments are designed to focus at roughly 10x the focal length to infinity. That's a compromise that isn't needed for astronomy.

You can see other compromises e.g. an SLR has to allow a mirror to flip up and down, so the design of the optics becomes much more difficult e.g. a wide angle lense has to have elements to overcome these difficulties. Zoom lenses are another compromise where a prime lens does more with less. One advantage might be that the market for spotting scopes is much bigger and the costs to design and manufacture are lower.

I use my Pentax 80 ED / 480mm spotting scope for wide field views, piggybacked on a CPC1100.   Pentax scopes accept standard 1.25” eyepieces, no adapters required.

66E886A5-F439-41AE-91DB-4353C20F9E10.jpeg

0B9BFA26-CD29-4566-8DC2-7940FDEAFF60.jpeg

Edited by Carbon
  • Like 2

I do wish the spotting scope manufacturers would allow room for star diagonals.
I can use 1.25" EPs with a short, screw on, ring adaptor but it uses socket head grub screws.
Not ideal in the dark! A short, compression ring fitting would have been far better.

I tried a 1.25" 90° diagonal with and without GPCs or a Barlow. It still wouldn't reach focus.
That aside, the views are the best I have ever seen through anything. Shockingly sharp, bright and colour pure.
As it should be for the asking price. Fluorite 88mm Kowa 884 straight through.

Bought for distant bird watching and photography. I really wish I had gone for the 45°.
Neck wringing is strictly a young man's, dangerous sport.

I made a Baader foil solar filter for it but it is only really useful with a low sun.
Though, with a 4/3 G9 fitted I can easily flip the rear screen to view the sun or moon.
Not remotely the same as the live view though.

The problem with smaller scopes is the softening of the image and loss of light with increasing magnification.
Visually, the Kowa holds well at up to 96x with its 1.6x extender. [Dedicated Barlow]
At 96x I was enjoying the eye detail of a singing blackbird on a distant roof at 250 yards as dusk was falling fast!

The money might have been spent on an astro telescope but it would have been far longer, far clumsier and far heavier.
Without the nitrogen purging, weatherproofing and rugged construction. Plus the built in tripod screw socket.
The 25-60 zoom eyepiece is absolutely superb at all powers and the sharpness and brightness hold up extremely well.

I have tried other spotting scopes but was always disappointed. Even with Zeiss.
As en entry level telescope I would want to look through one over a reasonable period before deciding. 

Do not believe online reviews. Particularly on YouTube. They are either defending their blind purchase or pushing product!
You usually only ever get what you pay for. If the item were better than everything else then it would be more expensive.

But! I bought a nice little astro refractor from Lidls for about £40. The mounting was crap. The insides  of the OTA were shiny plastic.
But the views were crisp enough. Giving it a makeover, to blacken or flock it, would have made it a really excellent first scope. 
It deserved better eyepieces and the Meade 4000s were fine.  Bresser Skylux 70mm f/10 if you ever fall across one. :)

I think spotting scopes are a fine idea, they may not be optimised for astronomy but they are super easy to use and can do a lot more than just astronomy.

I think they could do well in introducing people to astronomy who weren't planning on becoming astronomers if that makes sense.

I got into astronomy after I was bought some binoculars as a present. I now know those bins were horrible and not suited to astronomy but the memories I have of the first time I saw various things like say Jupiter and M44 are the best.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rusted said:

I do wish the spotting scope manufacturers would allow room for star diagonals.
I can use 1.25" EPs with a short, screw on, ring adaptor but it uses socket head grub screws.
Not ideal in the dark! A short, compression ring fitting would have been far better.

I tried a 1.25" 90° diagonal with and without GPCs or a Barlow. It still wouldn't reach focus.
That aside, the views are the best I have ever seen through anything. Shockingly sharp, bright and colour pure.
As it should be for the asking price. Fluorite 88mm Kowa 884 straight through.

Bought for distant bird watching and photography. I really wish I had gone for the 45°.
Neck wringing is strictly a young man's, dangerous sport.

I made a Baader foil solar filter for it but it is only really useful with a low sun.
Though, with a 4/3 G9 fitted I can easily flip the rear screen to view the sun or moon.
Not remotely the same as the live view though.

The problem with smaller scopes is the softening of the image and loss of light with increasing magnification.
Visually, the Kowa holds well at up to 96x with its 1.6x extender. [Dedicated Barlow]
At 96x I was enjoying the eye detail of a singing blackbird on a distant roof at 250 yards as dusk was falling fast!

The money might have been spent on an astro telescope but it would have been far longer, far clumsier and far heavier.
Without the nitrogen purging, weatherproofing and rugged construction. Plus the built in tripod screw socket.
The 25-60 zoom eyepiece is absolutely superb at all powers and the sharpness and brightness hold up extremely well.

I have tried other spotting scopes but was always disappointed. Even with Zeiss.
As en entry level telescope I would want to look through one over a reasonable period before deciding. 

Do not believe online reviews. Particularly on YouTube. They are either defending their blind purchase or pushing product!
You usually only ever get what you pay for. If the item were better than everything else then it would be more expensive.

But! I bought a nice little astro refractor from Lidls for about £40. The mounting was crap. The insides  of the OTA were shiny plastic.
But the views were crisp enough. Giving it a makeover, to blacken or flock it, would have made it a really excellent first scope. 
It deserved better eyepieces and the Meade 4000s were fine.  Bresser Skylux 70mm f/10 if you ever fall across one. :)

Perhaps you were unaware of this option for your Kowa?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1343087-REG/kowa_tsn_as1_25k_1_25_astro_adapter_for.html

However, the straight-thru model is not well-suited for astro work, as you've indicated.

Edited by Nakedgun
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

Perhaps you were unaware of this option for your Kowa?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1343087-REG/kowa_tsn_as1_25k_1_25_astro_adapter_for.html

However, the straight-thru model is not well-suited for astro work, as you've indicated.

Thanks for the tip but I have both 1.25" astro EP adapters.
The Kowa zoom EP is superb even with the 1.6x booster.
Brighter, with a wider field and superbly well corrected.
Particularly when compared with my humble, Meade 4000s.
Which are more like tunnel vision in comparison.