SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR mount question

Celestron4

My main telescope is a Celestron Nexstar 6 SCT and I mount it on a Celestron AVX mount. The telescope's focal length is quite large approximately 950mm with the Celestron f6.3 reducer and I was wondering whether it would be possible to mount my DSLR and telephoto lens on the AVX mount to be able to image larger objects (M43, M31 etc.).  Is this possible and what would I need? My other option is the original Alt-Az Celestron Nexstar Evolution mount that came with the telescope. I know this would not be as good as the equatorial mount but would it track sufficiently to allow me to get some decent length exposures (1-2 mins?).  

(I know that the Skywatcher Star Adventurer or something similar is the best option for this but I haven't got one yet and am hoping to avoid spending a lot of money for the moment if I can!)

You could use your evolution mount with the camera and lens but the exposure range would be more within a 30-45 second length. It's field rotation that limits exposure length so finding targets to the east or west from around 60° and under work best for exposure length. 

My AVX works well mounting a Canon T 3i with a 70-300 mm ES Canon telephoto even at 300 mm. Since you already have it this combo is all you should need.

As for attaching , it's been a while ago but I remember drilling a clearance hole in the dovetail shoe for a 1/4 " x 20 thumb screw bolt to screw into the camera base.

Great thing about using the AVX is just using a simple two or four star align with polar align to follow if that. No balancing needed. The tracking for me is fine.

Only slight difficulty is getting a bright enough alignment star to show in live view or else just sight along the dovetail shoe. Depends on your camera. With a field of about 12 deg at 100 mm it's not critical.

Following shot is a stack of 30 sec exposures at 100 mm . I didn't try too hard either with shooting or post proc.

1244904057_OrionWA.jpg.1034ece37465d4c78934bd165c371ba1.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/12/2020 at 14:33, Celestron4 said:

My main telescope is a Celestron Nexstar 6 SCT and I mount it on a Celestron AVX mount. The telescope's focal length is quite large approximately 950mm with the Celestron f6.3 reducer and I was wondering whether it would be possible to mount my DSLR and telephoto lens on the AVX mount to be able to image larger objects (M43, M31 etc.).  Is this possible and what would I need? My other option is the original Alt-Az Celestron Nexstar Evolution mount that came with the telescope. I know this would not be as good as the equatorial mount but would it track sufficiently to allow me to get some decent length exposures (1-2 mins?).  

(I know that the Skywatcher Star Adventurer or something similar is the best option for this but I haven't got one yet and am hoping to avoid spending a lot of money for the moment if I can!)

I have a Nikon  w/ 150-600mm lens mounted to the Advanced VX via the len's quick release plate. It mounts to the AVX the same as the dovetail on the OTA. I guide it with a tablet attached to the AVX and use QDSLR app to live view the photo.  

Screenshot 2021-01-10 233735.jpg

Edited by Retired-Not-Dead