SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Favourite eyepiece?

Dantooine

1 hour ago, Ships and Stars said:

I really like my APM 100deg EPs, the 20mm would be my favourite out of all my eyepieces. I have the 20/13/9mm set.

The APMs offer near Ethos (some say equal!) performance at a price that won't make you cry as much if you drop one on the floor. 269EUR for the 20mm APM vs £819.00 for the 21mm Ethos. That's why I sold my 21E and bought the three APMs with the money. I loved the 21E but was a bit nervous using it in the dark. I change eyepieces and filters frequently and rush around a lot when fatigued, so it was only a matter of time before I accidently pinged it off the concrete one night with cold fingers or *gasp* it somehow rolled out of my van at a dark sky spot.

Imagine a walker coming across this strange heavy black and green lump covered in frost, then googling 21mm Ethos...while I was at home sleeping the next morning🤣 The stuff of nightmares!

So that's the main reason I sold the 21E. Lighter as well. My only complaint is that the eyecup isn't as comfortable as the 21mm Ethos I had, a bit too stiff, so you have to push your eye into it to get the full FOV and the 21E had a bit more immersive feel, but that was intensive side by side comparisons. With just the APM I don't think anyone would be upset. 

I would love it if APM made a 23-25mm 100 deg EP, even if the edges weren't perfect, just for larger nebulae.

Anyway, really happy with the APMs. 

1584885982_APMLuntXWA.jpg.cc32b32e22fb680ac805afc60f88686d.jpg

They do look nice :smiley:

I've often wondered if they are optically the same as the Myriad 100's. I think Don Pensack might have confirmed that they were when I asked the question a while back on another forum but I can't remember for sure. I'll have to try and find that thread on there. They look very similar apart from the design of the top section / eye cup.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, John said:

They do look nice :smiley:

I've often wondered if they are optically the same as the Myriad 100's. I think Don Pensack might have confirmed that they were when I asked the question a while back on another forum but I can't remember for sure. I'll have to try and find that thread on there. They look very similar apart from the design of the top section / eye cup.

I think they are the same John, that seems to be the verdict, but as you say, Don might know something in particular? Coatings could be different or some small technical detail but I'd guess being mass produced, they're all the same creatures. I might get a 7mm XWA at some point for small galaxies, was surprised how well the 9mm worked on them. With high magnification plossls or orthos it's hard for me to find objects and really easy for me to lose them... The wide FOV is handy there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

I really like my APM 100deg EPs, the 20mm would be my favourite out of all my eyepieces. I have the 20/13/9mm set.

The APMs offer near Ethos (some say equal!) performance at a price that won't make you cry as much if you drop one on the floor. 269EUR for the 20mm APM vs £819.00 for the 21mm Ethos. That's why I sold my 21E and bought the three APMs with the money. I loved the 21E but was a bit nervous using it in the dark. I change eyepieces and filters frequently and rush around a lot when fatigued, so it was only a matter of time before I accidently pinged it off the concrete one night with cold fingers or *gasp* it somehow rolled out of my van at a dark sky spot.

Imagine a walker coming across this strange heavy black and green lump covered in frost, then googling 21mm Ethos...while I was at home sleeping the next morning🤣 The stuff of nightmares!

So that's the main reason I sold the 21E. Lighter as well. My only complaint is that the eyecup isn't as comfortable as the 21mm Ethos I had, a bit too stiff, so you have to push your eye into it to get the full FOV and the 21E had a bit more immersive feel, but that was intensive side by side comparisons. With just the APM I don't think anyone would be upset. 

I would love it if APM made a 23-25mm 100 deg EP, even if the edges weren't perfect, just for larger nebulae.

I am very happy with my apm 20 and it does make me wonder about the rest in the range. Main reason I went for the apm apart from cost was the much lighter weight. I would really like to try the others and the new apm 7 more so. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dantooine said:

I am very happy with my apm 20 and it does make me wonder about the rest in the range. Main reason I went for the apm apart from cost was the much lighter weight. I would really like to try the others and the new apm 7 more so. 

Yes, a substantial weight savings, especially on the 20 vs 21E. I weighed mine but can't remember what the difference was, but it's a fair bit. I'd like a widefield 80 Deg plus APM in the 25-27mm range for its exit pupil at f4, but don't think they do one. Nagler territory!

11 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

Yes, a substantial weight savings, especially on the 20 vs 21E. I weighed mine but can't remember what the difference was, but it's a fair bit. I'd like a widefield 80 Deg plus APM in the 25-27mm range for its exit pupil at f4, but don't think they do one. Nagler territory!

Since getting the ES 17mm 92, the 21E does not seem so heavy to me now :smiley:

I think the Ethos 21 - APM 20 / 100 weight difference is 160 grams if their published weights are accurate (they are not always I've noticed).

ES do the 25mm 100 but I've read some very mixed reviews of those :undecided:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

Lovely set SAS. They have a very nice clean looking design to them. I have read a lot of great opinions of the APM range. I would love to give one a try at some point.

Baz

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Lovely set SAS. They have a very nice clean looking design to them. I have read a lot of great opinions of the APM range. I would love to give one a try at some point.

Baz

That was my best product photo, lining them up on the kitchen table, even used filters, 🤣 The anodising seems to be decent, no scratches from the focusser tube yet. I've almost forgotten what the views are like since my last good clear night in October, but seeing was very turbulent. Just going to check the weather this weekend again now for this weekend, there's a chance...

20 minutes ago, John said:

Anyone on here own a Tele Vue Apollo 11mm ?

I know that Don (Pensack) has one but anyone else ?

If you are nervous about handling a 21mm Ethos, the price tag of the Apollo 11 will make things worse :shocked:

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/tele-vue-apollo-11-special-edition-eyepiece.html

Or a pair for binoviewers?? 🤣

The 11mm would be a lot lighter, so maybe not quite so bad...or have a 'leave it in the focusser' rule once set up.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John said:

If you are nervous about handling a 21mm Ethos, the price tag of the Apollo 11 will make things worse :shocked:

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/tele-vue-apollo-11-special-edition-eyepiece.html

I think I would rather have the 10 Ethos. In fact I would really like to have the 10 Ethos 😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dantooine said:

I think I would rather have the 10 Ethos. In fact I would really like to have the 10 Ethos 😁

I believe it is one of the best in the Ethos range. The only one that I have not owned or used as well :rolleyes2:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

I think they are the same John, that seems to be the verdict, but as you say, Don might know something in particular? Coatings could be different or some small technical detail but I'd guess being mass produced, they're all the same creatures. I might get a 7mm XWA at some point for small galaxies, was surprised how well the 9mm worked on them. With high magnification plossls or orthos it's hard for me to find objects and really easy for me to lose them... The wide FOV is handy there.

Yes, the Myriads are the same optics, as were the William optics version, Stellarvue, et.al.

The difference is the design of the top.

The eyepiece is easier to use with the eyecup folded down.

The 7mm isn't out yet, but is due at APM very soon.

That set is missing the high power ones, the 4.77mm and 3.5mm (those are the focal lengths on the mfr's literature)

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

Or a pair for binoviewers?? 🤣

The 11mm would be a lot lighter, so maybe not quite so bad...or have a 'leave it in the focusser' rule once set up.

11mm Apollo used as a 2" = 620g.

13mm APM, used as a 2" = 511g.

10mm Ethos = 499g

The Apollo 11 is a fair amount heavier, not lighter, unless you were comparing it to the 21mm Ethos.

Of course, assuming you could use them in binoviewers, you are talking about a LOT of weight in the focuser.

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, John said:

Apollo 11 thread on user reviews:

My own review:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/687544-televue-apollo-11-reviews-here/?p=10009894

and the thread with other comments:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/687544-televue-apollo-11-reviews-here/?hl=%2Bapollo+%2B11

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

11mm Apollo used as a 2" = 620g.

13mm APM, used as a 2" = 511g.

10mm Ethos = 499g

The Apollo 11 is a fair amount heavier, not lighter, unless you were comparing it to the 21mm Ethos.

Of course, assuming you could use them in binoviewers, you are talking about a LOT of weight in the focuser.

.....and afford two of them 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

Yes, the Myriads are the same optics, as were the William optics version, Stellarvue, et.al.

The difference is the design of the top.

The eyepiece is easier to use with the eyecup folded down.

The 7mm isn't out yet, but is due at APM very soon.

That set is missing the high power ones, the 4.77mm and 3.5mm (those are the focal lengths on the mfr's literature)

Thanks Don! Agree it's easier to use the APMs with the eyecup down, definitely. 

I may order a 7mm XWA this week, that would be 285x in the big scope, ever the optimist for our seeing conditions, but on the right night it will be great for small galaxies, PN, planets, etc in either the 12" or 20" dobs. 

I see APM Germany is showing a 5mm XWA (must be the 4.77) and the 3.5, it would be great to have the entire set, but I doubt I'd ever be able to really use them with our seeing conditions in my 20" dob (f4, 2000mm focal length). The 5mm would be 400x and the 3.5 would be 571x. It fun to think about it though.

The 12" dob might respond a bit better with the shorter focal length to the 5mm, but I'd try the 7mm first.

I appreciate all the information as always Don 👍 I have a friend in the states who just bought a scope, I'll point him in your direction for eyepieces.

Edited by Ships and Stars

17 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

I may order a 7mm XWA this week, that would be 285x in the big scope, ever the optimist for our seeing conditions, but on the right night it will be great for small galaxies, PN, planets, etc in either the 12" or 20" dobs. 

I see APM Germany is showing a 5mm XWA (must be the 4.77) and the 3.5, it would be great to have the entire set, but I doubt I'd ever be able to really use them with our seeing conditions in my 20" dob (f4, 2000mm focal length). The 5mm would be 400x and the 3.5 would be 571x. It fun to think about it though.

The 12" dob might respond a bit better with the shorter focal length to the 5mm, but I'd try the 7mm first.

I appreciate all the information as always Don 👍 I have a friend in the states who just bought a scope, I'll point him in your direction for eyepieces.

I'm thinking about the 4.77mm APM for my dob. I had an Ethos 4.7mm for a while and eventually decided that the Pentax XW 5mm was a slightly better performer so I let the Ethos 4.7 go but I think it would be nice to have something of that focal length back in the "big" eyepiece set to save hauling the XW 5mm out of another case.

Actually, that sounds a bit extravagant when I think about it :rolleyes2:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ships and Stars said:

go for the 5mm pentax. awsome on pn and star clusters 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, faulksy said:

my favourite eyepiece is probably  my 13mm ethos which gives me 184x suits a lot of objects, and is pinpoint sharp with my SIPS

as ships and stars says the 20mm apm is very good

I also favour my 13 ethos even though in my 4” it only gives me 55x however it’s an amazing 55x. 

• Like 4

12mm / 13mm is a very useful focal length for eyepieces and in a wide range of scope specs as well. It was no accident that 13mm was the first focal length that Al Nagler produced his Nagler in and also the 1st focal length that the Ethos came in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1