SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Favourite eyepiece?

Dantooine

40 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Oh, come on, why no zooms?

I don't have favorite zoom - but might one day - and then it will be my favorite eyepiece :D

ES82° 11mm - because it's razor sharp

I had some 82’s. I favoured the 14 & 8.8. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HollyHound said:

I don't know what you mean 🤣

Actually, I would like to put the Delos 14mm in as my second favourite now, based on the last few nights with it 👍

I was expecting that as first choice since you shoot out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dantooine said:

I was expecting that as first choice since you shoot out. 

Still a work in progress, but yes in the 14mm slot, the Delos is now the favourite... purely based on field curvature with the XW14, which is a shame because in terms of centre of field view, contrast, comfort and ergonomics it's a tad better... these differences are so minor though that the better sharpness at edge of field makes a win for the Delos 👍

I still love that big view in the XW30 though, and the fact that the Dioptrx integrates into the eyecup too... now you see it, now you don't 😃

PentaxXW30_Integrated_Dioptrx.jpg

Edited by HollyHound
Added photo of XW30
  • Like 9

I'm going to be lazy and go for the 21mm Ethos. Why?

Because it is my widest eyepiece and if you saw how bad I was at star hopping with a manual dob, you'd understand perfectly!

They don't get so much love these days, but I am quite fond of my 8mm Radian. It has served me very well for solar viewing, and my gear tends to get more use for solar.

• Like 4

TeleVue Ethos 13mm. I say this not because a 13mm is my favourite FL: it's a bit short in the SCT. But for sheer quality the view is impeccable. Sharp to the edge (and the edge needs you to move your head to find, which I like.) Stunning contrast and a strange sensation of the glass being invisible. I'd like a longer FL Ethos as well but have a 26 Nagler so I've no excuse to buy one...

Olly

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

TeleVue Ethos 13mm. I say this not because a 13mm is my favourite FL: it's a bit short in the SCT. But for sheer quality the view is impeccable. Sharp to the edge (and the edge needs you to move your head to find, which I like.) Stunning contrast and a strange sensation of the glass being invisible. I'd like a longer FL Ethos as well but have a 26 Nagler so I've no excuse to buy one...

Olly

If you really want that longer Ethos, you could always part with your Nagler 26T5. I am sure there will be kind people forming and orderly line to take it off your hands. ME FIRST!!! ORDERLY LINE I SAID! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, globular said:

I am obsessing over an ES92/17.  Unfortunately the obsession is trying to get one rather than looking through one. Does that still count?

The Es 92’s are amazing eyepieces but they are heavy. 

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Olly

I would have to agree with you on the 13E. There is something very special about it. I think it’s an eyepiece that somehow shows everything the way you want to see it. 

• Like 2