Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can anyone shed some light on Optica b/c eyepiece?

AlessiR

Hey all, new here! Pleased to be a part of the community! So I got this eyepiece with a Celestron 5 I found at a thrift store today ($50!! 🤯🤯) ... I’ve been researching but have found NOTHING on the interwebs in regards to it... not even a mention... Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks for any help!spacer.png

Rick

4D04E18E-B517-4BAD-A21D-12418E65B231.jpeg

AF0EB0C7-4A0A-489B-A6D2-8CA8EAF372DC.jpeg

A15F1EC1-40E7-482B-8713-1D36528F9B3B.jpeg

3A58C22D-74F2-4440-BD23-1E234732C195.jpeg

Edited by AlessiR

Found a pic on CN classifieds that looks similar but not identical- described as a terrestrial zoom ep so probably has a built in Amici prism to invert image- does yours? Seems Optica b/c were re-branders of Japanese stuff in the 70’s including Royal Astro which seem quite collectible  over in US 🤷‍♂️ Have you looked through it?

83096D6C-F804-4905-BC33-D6ADC70692D4.png

and here’s a thread on CN with what looks very like yours under the Royal Astro brand- you can probably get more info on CN

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/673365-royal-astro-optical-co-50mm-f10/

Edited by markse68
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, markse68 said:

Found a pic on CN classifieds that looks similar but not identical- described as a terrestrial zoom ep so probably has a built in Amici prism to invert image- does yours? Seems Optica b/c were re-branders of Japanese stuff in the 70’s including Royal Astro which seem quite collectible  over in US 🤷‍♂️ Have you looked through it?

83096D6C-F804-4905-BC33-D6ADC70692D4.png

and here’s a thread on CN with what looks very like yours under the Royal Astro brand- you can probably get more info on CN

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/673365-royal-astro-optical-co-50mm-f10/

No prism to be found, I saw something a bit similar also (though not what you sent,) and went looking for one... I was using it to observe Mars a bit as well as the Orion Nebula, while playing around last night, actually made the whole stepping up eye pieces much easier, errr.... not necessary 😂.  Whether it’s the proper use, I have no clue... but if it works, it works, I suppose!  

12 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Looks like a little zoom telescope to me, rather than an eyepiece.

that is exactly what I thought it was initially, but it’s definitely not.. That lightbulb went off and it properly fit into the eye piece holder..

An erect image can be done with lenses only.  When I was young you could buy what looked like a Barlow lens that would correct the image if inserted before the eyepiece.

At least one company has created an eyepiece incorporating this:

https://khanscope.com/products/image-erecting-eyepiece-1-25-sm-1-25ie

There are a ton of these on eBay.

Note: I suggest dealing with the upside down image.  These are horrible optically.

4 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

An erect image can be done with lenses only.  When I was young you could buy what looked like a Barlow lens that would correct the image if inserted before the eyepiece.

At least one company has created an eyepiece incorporating this:

https://khanscope.com/products/image-erecting-eyepiece-1-25-sm-1-25ie

There are a ton of these on eBay.

Note: I suggest dealing with the upside down image.  These are horrible optically.

Are you sure these aren't using a roof-like prism assembly like the erecting eyepiece in this CN teardown?

Compare images of the two eyepieces:

Sky Mentor from Khan Scope:

spacer.png

Celestron 20mm Erecting:

spacer.pngspacer.png

It's not definitive, but I suspect they're similar in design.  If so, here's the internal prisms:

spacer.pngspacer.png