SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Seeing stars flying by

New guy here. If this is the right place to ask this - I've often wondered, with interstellar travel, how fast would you need to be moving to see stars zipping by? Could you EVER see them moving by the ship, unless you were within AU's of them, in which case you'd see one 'in motion'? And of course, this assumes ships will have the expansive viewing portals of sci-fi movies? I've heard it's the only way to travel...
But thinking through my own question - if the nearest star is ~4ly away, that tells me the light-speed traveler will see nothing moving by.
I feel cheated. I guess I'm not paying extra for that room with a view!
Thanks

Time slows down in your frame as your speed approaches light speed.  So you could move fast enough that the stars would noticeably change position as you watched.  But extreme blue shift and apparent geometric distortion would keep this from looking like the view from the Enterprise!