Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Watch partial solar eclipse on Gong

Highburymark

As many of you will be aware, there was a solar eclipse in South America today. If you google ‘Gong ha solar’ - the site which shows the latest images of the Sun in hydrogen alpha - and click on the Chile image (location of each camera around the world is top right), and then hit the ‘movie’ icon underneath (two spools of tape), it shows several hours of solar footage in a few seconds. Something rather wonderful about seeing an eclipse on a cold and wet winter evening here in the UK.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

The 2027 eclipse will be a good one. If we're still here by then.....

'26 is better. We're starting to think about that one.

Sunset totality from Mallorca or maybe something more conventional  from the North of Spain?

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2026_GoogleMapFull.htmimage.thumb.png.7bcce338bdf9ee958c38381ff21f00a5.png

Well the 2026 event will happen close to sunset so maybe not.

I think the 2027 event is in Egypt, north Africa and middle east so the weather will be no issue.

Also its a long one : over 6 mins of totality iirc.

Even i should be able to get a passable image of it in 6 mins........

Also the 2024 event passes through Texas, so is worth a look. We have an uncle who lives in Texas. Hmmmm.....

Edited by Space Hopper
  • Like 1

Yes I watched the Total Solar Eclipse on Monday using www.timeanddate.com - there was a fair bit of cloud about. I also looked at the image on Gong from Cerro Tololo Chile - very impressive.

I am hoping to see another Total Eclipse - looking at 2026 and 2027 - I just wonder whether somewhere in mainland Spain might be better that the Islands. As regards 2027 I thought about the Costa del Sol going towards Gibraltar.

• Like 1