Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Part of LMC

AusGuy

A first “proper” image recording a near live view when out a few nights ago.

The equipment and imaging details are :

Vixen R200SS; SW AZ-EQ6 (in equatorial mode); ZWO ASI294MC Pro cooled to -10C; Baader MPCC;

SharpCap live stack – 4 x 60 seconds at 310 gain. PS used to remove a satellite trail and very slightly improve contrast (except for the innermost part of the Tarantula to preserve detail).

For southern hemisphere viewers this is old familiar territory but probably not so much for our northern friends. The main take-away I get when dwelling here is how very large are many of the objects that can seen quite easily despite the vast distance separating us.

The annotated image says that the LMC is 160,000 light years distant. This is gleaned from a number of internet sources. But some other quite respectable sources put its distance at up to 170,000 light years. The quoted size measurements being based on the lower figure could therefore be understated – but only slightly.

The Tarantula Nebula is clearly the star of the show but there are many other interesting tid-bits scattered around.

The circle around the Tarantula indicates a diameter of 1,000 light years. But the object is not just two dimensional so who knows how big it is from front to back? Maybe larger still? In any event it can span at least ¾ of the distance between us and the Great Orion Nebula.

Rather than comment on three of the few that I have individually identified (NGCs 2077, 2080 and 2074) I'll leave it to Steve Crouch's 10 hours integration image to reveal what this image only hints at – see http://members.pcug.org.au/~stevec/ngc2074_STXL16200_RC14_LHaOIIIRGB.jpg

As for NGC 2100, just keep in mind the ESO image at https://www.eso.org/public/images/eso1133a/

I've used an image measuring tool to determine the quoted sizes but have struggled with NGC 2077. Based on Steve Crouch's image it is at least as big as NGC 2080.

If you are already familiar with this territory you will be able to pick out at least some of the many whorls and tendrils of gas and dust that infest it. I particularly like the heart shaped nebula at 5 o'clock from NGC 2074.

And all this 160,000 years ago at or about the time of the advent of modern humans.

2073974064_TarantulaStack_4frames_240s.thumb.jpg.1aeeeeeefebdc03f85cb517b56301b73.jpg

848599831_TarantulaStack_4frames_240sannotated.thumb.jpg.15a8e6e28c99a6cf5d9a40d56162e1f6.jpg

David

• Like 6

Hi David,

WOW. 

Yesterday I had just been reading a mates report on his visit to NZ and describing the LMC and many other southern delights and then along comes your report. The quality of your report is superb - informative, inspirational. Makes me want to rush out and buy some tickets to "down under". Later today as the promised rain sets in I shall enjoy drawling over the image and reading up the links.

Many thanks

Mike (from a very wet, cloudy, humid GB)

Edited by Mike JW
spelling mistake

Thank you for your kind comments Mike, Adrian and Robertl. They are appreciated.

As to weather – mostly cloudy here at nights at the moment with the odd evening cloud free – usually when the Moon is up!

Not a particularly dark sky – about Bortle 4.5. It used to be better years ago but the increasing light dome from our neighbouring city is noticeably drifting us closer to Bortle 5.

David