Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron C8 Telescope bad clock drive

racprops

Forgive a newbie questions…

I just (at last) got a Celestron C8 with fork and wedge, but on a Meade tripod. (No telescoping legs) Looks like the Standard Field Tripod BUT missing the center leg brace plate and the Telescoping legs… I think it is a version with 36 Inch fixed legs.

This is an upgrade to my childhood wanted got as an older adult (sadly) Criterion 6 inch Newtonian.  

But One of the clock motors does not run, so this is a two part question:

One where can I get a replacement??

And or I read that the later models now use a D/C motor, can I get one (or two) to replace my A/C motor (s), especially as I want to use the scope out in the middle of nowhere as I live in Phoenix AZ and I have given up on my Criterion 6 Inch as we can barely see more than a dozen stars on a good night.

So a 12 drive system would be better that a 112 A/C up convertor.

I could also use a source for used parts if there is one or more.

Thanks.

Rich

8 hours ago, racprops said:

Thanks, I did kind of think you were UK based...but to day with the internet we are all next door to one and another...

Very true.

I was just thinking of the best chance for you to find what you need quickly will be through your local market. There are a lot of amateur astronomers in the USA and also the costs of carriage across the Atlantic can make buying small / lower cost items quite expensive.