Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda Epsilon 160

Allinthehead

Hi all, I decided to combine 2 hrs luminance taken with the 160 and Asi2600 with 5 hrs rgb taken with the Epsilon 130 and Asi 071 and this is the result.

2 hrs in 180 second subs Epsilon 160 gain 100

5 hrs 150 second subs Epsilon 130 gain 50

Hope you enjoy,

Richard.

Andromeda_finalcomb.thumb.png.94e60d494567a6bdbf34c442c7ac5793.png

• Like 19

15 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

One of the best images of Andromeda I've seen in a long time. 

Thanks, high praise considering the quality of images we see here.

13 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Epic, I'm very jealous :D clearly a very good investment that new scope.

Thanks Adam, it does look promising so far. How's your 180 doing now with the new focuser?

14 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Thanks Adam, it does look promising so far. How's your 180 doing now with the new focuser?

It a lot better but I'm not totally happy yet to be honest.  I think it's still down to collimation.  I'm getting 2 sets of parallel spikes on my stars, and although that can be a focus issue, I'm running autofocus routines and the HFR is as small as possible, so it's either collimation (or perhaps tilt).  It's a bit of a bitch because the collimation mark on the secondary isnt round or small, rather it's an oval shape, and there is some room for interpretation of it's centre point.  I'm going to adjust it today, and see how it's looks.  If I could get a measurement of the secondary centre spot, I would remark it myself.  I'll not derail this thread though :D 

Edited by tooth_dr

1 minute ago, Moonshed said:

Amazing! When you stop and think about it it really isn’t so long ago that only a giant mountain top observatory could achieve such results. Well done indeed.

Thanks Keith, that's so true. Amazing to be able to do this from my little backyard in East Cork. 2.5 million year old photons that left Andromeda before our species walked the earth hitting my perfectly placed sensor while I enjoyed a beer in my living room😁

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

It a lot better but I'm not totally happy yet to be honest.

Bummer

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

It's a bit of a bitch because the collimation mark on the secondary isnt round or small, rather it's an oval shape, and there is some room for interpretation of it's centre point.

That's something I've also noted and with some confusion as it seems to be lacking precision for a process that requires ultimate precision. 

29 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Amazing to be able to do this from my little backyard in East Cork. 2.5 million year old photons that left Andromeda before our species walked the earth hitting my perfectly placed sensor while I enjoyed a beer in my living room

They travel all that way perfectly collimated for millions of years then in the last milliseconds find there way onto my mirror and go pear shaped 😂

Dave

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

They travel all that way perfectly collimated for millions of years then in the last milliseconds find there way onto my mirror and go pear shaped 😂

😂 Literally pear shaped, I've seen my collimation go so bad the stars start to resemble my feeble drawings of seagulls as a kid. Did you enquire about the 160 with Tommy?

1 minute ago, Allinthehead said:

😂 Literally pear shaped, I've seen my collimation go so bad the stars start to resemble my feeble drawings of seagulls as a kid. Did you enquire about the 160 with Tommy?

I've gone from flocks of seagulls to a small spike on the left hand side of all the stars in an image, now ordered a Concentre to complete my set of collimating tools 😂

Didn't enquire about Epsilon stock yet, giving the SharpStar one last chance before it becomes a Christmas decoration as it is quite decorative, just needs a few fairy lights added.

Having swore to somebody nearby that I wouldn't buy anymore scopes I'm now trying to find some tactful words to broach the subject, maybe when she's in a festive mood  🥳

ATB

Dave

4 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Didn't enquire about Epsilon stock yet, giving the SharpStar one last chance before it becomes a Christmas decoration as it is quite decorative, just needs a few fairy lights added.

It is very pretty.

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Having swore to somebody nearby that I wouldn't buy anymore scopes I'm now trying to find some tactful words to broach the subject, maybe when she's in a festive mood  🥳

🤣 You're not alone there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Can't see how anyone could possibly complain seeing your spartan signature list, only got half of mine listed 😂

Dave

That reminds me I need to update that, It's the cost of those items though, although to be fair she's happy as long as everything fits neatly into the sideboard in hall.

20201213_125512.thumb.jpg.1a61b622c9846994bf78486ebdfca0d1.jpg

Still a little gap at the front for a widefield instrument🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Mine's taken over the conservatory and dining room and the SharpStar has been living on the kitchen worktop while I work on it 😂

Dave

I just showed your reply to Sarah so she'd know that things could always be worse. She said if I did that she'd sell anything lying around while I was at work😯. She then said you must make it up to her in other ways😉

That's another thing I get nagged about, never selling anything, just because I haven't used it for years is no reason to sell it 😂 although I do occasionally give stuff away to those less fortunate.

I do wait on her hand and foot to try and score some brownie points :thumbsup:

Dave

• Haha 1