Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 - intended operation of RA circle setscrew

DaveSw

I recently received a new HEQ5 Pro mount and  the weather has been uncooperative since, so I've just been "playing" with it inside.  One of the items that has me wondering is the "setscrew" (SW's term) adjacent to RA setting indicator (photo attached).

The section in the mounts instruction booklet, "Orienting the Polar Reticule" implies that tightening the setscrew will lock the RA circle in position so that it revolves with the RA axis. (note here: I am not concerned with polar alignment or polar scope operation at this time)

This is not what happens on my mount.  When I tighten the setscrew the setting circle does snug up and will rotate with the RA axis, but only for a partial rotation of the axis, then the setting circle becomes stationary again.  If the setscrew is tightened more, the RA axis becomes difficult to move and the setting circle still doesn't "lock" to the axis.  I expect this is not the desired result.

Before I damage anything by forcing screws tighter than intended I thought I would solicit advice from users of this mount.  My preference is not to have to dismantle it before I get to use it, but if that's what's required, then I will. (and I'm still awaiting the arrival of a Rowan belt mod kit, but no word on it's ETA)

Is the real purpose of the setscrew to lock the RA setting circle into position?

Should it actually tighten down the RA/SC so the circle remains stationary (on the axis) during RA rotation?

Why does tightening the screw down "drag" on the RA axis?

TIA, Dave

HEQ5 RA circle.JPG

1 hour ago, Craig a said:

Yes the circle should remain stationary when it’s locked down 

Thanks for the confirmation Craig, that's what I thought was the likely purpose.  Given that it doesn't actually lock the circle down and drags on the polar axis, any suggestions as to why that might be the case.

I do not want to start pulling things apart until I've "heard from the experts".  So far the only images I've seen are those provided by Astro-baby's stripping/rebuilding articles. (though I don't think I've exhausted the search...)

I noticed this issue ages ago on the HEQ5Pro. I only ever use the setting circle to get the counterbalance bar roughly level prior to polar aligning.

I agree that it is either poor design or meant to do something else SW have kept secret 🖖