Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Geminid Meteor Shower

little-geek

I managed to finish my Meteotux all sky camera on Wednesday so have just set it up in the garden as its clear at the moment. Hopefully if the focus and settings are correct I might capture something

IMG_20201209_145955.jpg

Edited by Tomatobro
photo added
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, little-geek said:

geminid meteor shower expected to start on december 13, and should be visible until the early morning of december 14th

Ah, I nearly forgot. It can be brilliant. I'm off out for dinner tonight, but it is tomorrow night.

Woohoo.

Let's hope for clear skies.

3 hours ago, wulfrun said:

I saw 3 last night in the space of half-hour ish and a mere 2 the night before, both times close to midnight. Not as many as I'd have liked but still pretty when they came.

It’s always a thrill to see a meteor flash across the sky. Only seen two this year due to bad weather.

4 hours ago, wulfrun said:

I saw 3 last night in the space of half-hour ish and a mere 2 the night before, both times close to midnight. Not as many as I'd have liked but still pretty when they came.

Me and my wife also saw 3 each (not the same 3) over a similar period at around midnight on the 13th, nothing like the 100+ per hour predicted in the BAA Handbook.  

John 

Update on my all sky camera post.

I had some software and memory issues on the first test so need to uprate the SD card but the Meteotux software is working well.

If anybody has updated to the Pro version of Meteotux and can tell me how its done that would be great

allsky2.jpg

11 hours ago, johnturley said:

Me and my wife also saw 3 each (not the same 3) over a similar period at around midnight on the 13th, nothing like the 100+ per hour predicted in the BAA Handbook.  

John 

I went out yesterday (first clear sky for a while) and saw 3 in the space of an hour and half from around 2100-2230. Slightly disappointed after reading about it having a high rate of meteors though I am told there is a significant drop off, something like 1/4, from peak which was on Monday so I guess I was lucky I saw any at all coupled with urban location!

28 minutes ago, wibblefish said:

I went out yesterday (first clear sky for a while) and saw 3 in the space of an hour and half from around 2100-2230. Slightly disappointed after reading about it having a high rate of meteors though I am told there is a significant drop off, something like 1/4, from peak which was on Monday so I guess I was lucky I saw any at all coupled with urban location!

From an urban location, a few days from the peak, this is not a bad result at all! The ZHR (zenithal hourly rate) of the shower is around 120 the last years, but this is a theoretical maximum (radiant overhead, clear and dark skies, right at the top of the peak). So if your are able to catch a few in less than two hours, that's wonderful :).

Unfortunately, nothing but clouds here lately so I completely missed the peak. That's a shame, the conditions were very favourable this year (new moon and peak right in the middle of the night). The great thing with meteor showers is, they're back next year.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 17:58, Tomatobro said:

I managed to finish my Meteotux all sky camera on Wednesday so have just set it up in the garden as its clear at the moment. Hopefully if the focus and settings are correct I might capture something

IMG_20201209_145955.jpg

Got to say, that looks like a work of art....