SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hope it wasn't the new guidescope

alan potts

A few months ago I dropped my SW ED guidescope which I have to say I rate for fit finish and quality. After it kissed the concrete floor there was an internal chip in the front element, not massive but big enough to cause concern. I later blacked it out altogether with paint but stars still had odd shapes, especially bright one. Guides seem decent though and sometimes even stunningly good.

So I change over the the guidescope for the new one I bought in front of 31st Dec and well enough in front Christmas. Did all the calibrations after a rough alignment and the guiding last night was absolutely awful, hope it wasn't the razor sharp stars I now have.

Didn't know what to shoot as cloud was moving in from the east, so 25 x 4mins on M33 with the Borg 77EDll and the 071 OSC, darks and flats and a 100% selection of captures. Going to try the OAG I bought back in February soon so maybe it was money wasted

385167595_Autosavecopy.thumb.jpg.f3c8bc29f1dd353847db99ddfb496e50.jpg

Seems I missed the crop from the righthand edge but on the whole this gradient trick that Trevor on Backyard posted some time ago, seems to work reasonably well, just no good for very big targets and big nebulae, Olly spotted I had used it on M31 the other day, he don't miss much, but then that's why he's so good.

Alan

• Like 7

Hi Alan.

This hobby is full of woes and pitfalls,and things can take awhile to sort out.You will sort out the guiding.Your image is a good start for such a short intergration time especially for a OSC camera.

More subs will definately improve this.

Good luck with the OAG.

Mick.

11 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Hi Alan.

This hobby is full of woes and pitfalls,and things can take awhile to sort out.You will sort out the guiding.Your image is a good start for such a short intergration time especially for a OSC camera.

More subs will definately improve this.

Good luck with the OAG.

Mick.

Mick I feel it was just very poor condition. Prior to taking the gradient out the whole image looked very poor really which was clearly hazy thin cloud passing, even I am surprised it turned out as it has. Think I will try the OAG though as I also ordered a focuser to fit on it to make it easier. Must try not to drop things on the obsey floor. Recently I clocked up 20 hours on this at a longer focal length, I have always stuck to 3-4 minutes subs, just habit really but I still have a tendency to want to move on after 2 hours. I wanted to combine this year and last but I lost all the data in a drive crash. I didn't do longer this night because it was clear that cloud was amassing, it's been awful ever since, damp cold and cloudy.

Alan

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Mick I feel it was just very poor condition. Prior to taking the gradient out the whole image looked very poor really which was clearly hazy thin cloud passing, even I am surprised it turned out as it has. Think I will try the OAG though as I also ordered a focuser to fit on it to make it easier. Must try not to drop things on the obsey floor. Recently I clocked up 20 hours on this at a longer focal length, I have always stuck to 3-4 minutes subs, just habit really but I still have a tendency to want to move on after 2 hours. I wanted to combine this year and last but I lost all the data in a drive crash. I didn't do longer this night because it was clear that cloud was amassing, it's been awful ever since, damp cold and cloudy.

Alan

I tend to be a 2hr man myself Alan,we just dont have the weather to allow for hours and hours.

Mick.

• Like 1